1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 2: There's so much we can do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's like that for a lot of so-called "public teams." For example, I don't think the Lakers ever finish better than .500 ATS.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I always wondered if there wasn't easy money to be made just consistently betting against popular teams and teams from very large cities.

It can't be that easy, right?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've wondered that, too. It's hard to find - at least for me - data for teams ATS year after year after year. Maybe some of the betting sites have that?

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Arizona at Okie State and Mizzou at ASU? Are we getting an earlier start on Pac-20 East games? And Northern Illinois is a touchdown favorite at Kansas. Where have you gone Mark Mangino? Screamin' Mark has gone and left us with Gill.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Any edition of Phil Steele will give you the historical ATS info. But the best shot at making money from football is to study the hell out of some obscure conference and stick to betting it. Ragu does this with the MAC, although I don't know if actual bullion is at stake.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I really hope Penn St. keeps it competitive against the Ragin Sabans. Broke into the top 25 and would make this year's weekend trip to State College much more fun.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

May not be a more intriguing game this week than Miss. State at Auburn.

Hard to say how good the Pups are, because Memphis might not win a game this year, and War Damn Eagle looked horrible at home against Utah State, before some serious mojo went their way in the last three minutes.

With LSU coming into Starkvegas the following Thursday, this is Mullen's chance to make a statement about where State is as a program.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't say if any bullion is at stake. :)

But theoretically one can try (emphasis on try) to feast on the Sun Belt, MAC, WAC and Conference USA early in the season. Best strategy I have seen is to try to find the 10 or so bottom DI teams each year, with special emphasis on the 5 worst -- the ones that might win 1 game all season. Then early on, bet them early in the week (before line moves up) when they are about to get stomped on by a major. An example, was Florida Atlantic (which Phil Steele had as the worst team in DI -- and anyone who bets should be studying Phil Steele) playing Florida in week one. You could have gotten an early point spread of around 33 or 34 and Florida won by 38. Could have been worse, if you watched it.

Aside from those, try to identify the stronger teams from those lesser conferences and any time they are playing one of those 4 or 5 worst teams, be ready to pounce, especially early in the season. An example this week is Temple playing Akron, which should be miserably bad this year. Temple should challenge for the MAC title. Point spread is around 13 or 14. That might not be nearly enough.

So while everyone else watching Oklahoma and Alabama and Florida State and whatever (and I am too, because I am just a college football fan), if you bet it can make sense to pay a lot of attention to teams like Florida Atlantic and Eastern Michigan and Akron and Memphis and New Mexico State, because they should be miserably bad this year and early in the year those point spreads sometimes aren't "efficient" enough because the games aren't getting a lot of action. It isn't full proof, though. I would have had Ball State as pretty bad this year and they went and beat Indiana -- granted, Indiana is not going to be a world beater this year, but Indiana should have won that by more than a touchdown by anyone reasonably analyzing the game.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think Miss State is going to handle Auburn easily. Auburn isn't even close to the same team that won the national championship and Miss State should be a very good team this season.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Two Missouri Western players rescued an infant from a locked car last month.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6936784/missouri-western-griffons-players-save-toddler-hot-car

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I used to go to the sports books in Reno and always, ALWAYS bet against USC, Notre Dame and the 49ers. I did very well with those.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Maybe they think Rod is still the coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted