1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 2: Lane Kiffin and New Jersey, Match Made in Fiery Hell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Sep 5, 2012.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I know it's still FCS, but I can't ever figure out why teams schedule good FCS teams. No Dak State is 6-3 against the FBS since 2006, and although I'm guessing a few of the six were against the dregs of the FBS, I still can't imagine why anyone would pay them to show up.

Same with Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Montana, etc.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Re: College Football Week 2: Lane Kiffin and New Jersey, Match Made in Fiery Hel

Actually, I believe Paul Newman played Uncle Earl K. Long, not Huey, in "Blaze."

Includes one of the great lines ever in a movie. When asked why he wears his boots to bed: "For traction, honey."

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

My nominee for the Oops Award of the week, out of Oregon: The Eugene Register-Guard covers both Oregon and Oregon State, obviously with an emphasis on Oregon. Both UO and OSU had home games Saturday afternoon. The R-G had three writers and two photogs staffing the UO-Fresno State game, including the OSU beat writer. The paper sent no one to cover the Beavs upsetting No. 13 Wisconsin, thus using AP material. It's worth noting the R-G is down two in sports right now (No. 2 UO guy Adam Jude recently left for the Oregonian, while columnist George Schroeder just left as well) but still, oops.

4. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Ouch. I think Oregon State's beat guy will be back in Corvallis for their next game.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Or perhaps it's the other way around. Maybe they didn't staff Wisconsin-OSU because they knew since it was a Top 25 game, they'd get plenty from AP. I'm a bit surprised since it was arguably OSU's top home game on the schedule.

As a desk guy I used to prefer it when we took AP instead of staffing games. I'd get the copy 60-90 minutes after the game ended, instead of five minutes before my midnight deadline. Usually fewer edits needed, too.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you have an OSU beat writer, why would you have him as one of three at Oregon and Fresno State? If it were a marquee game like USC, or even a Pac-12 game, I could understand. But Fresno State? That seems like overkill for a second-tier matchup, especially when you have a dedicated beat writer whose team is playing a Top 25 opponent.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Yeah. CSU scored on the third play of the game, and that was it. NDSU's line dominated the game, both sides. I think four FCS teams beat FBS on Saturday.

And I agree about UNC, though playing Mesa State, errr, Colorado Mesa, wasn't the best primer.

8. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Michigan isn't working nearly that hard this week. They play UMass, which has already been drilled by UConn and Indiana.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

JUCO game I was at Saturday Night ended at 63-49. Games like that are a blast to watch, but a fucking nightmare to officiate.

10. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Shug Jordan (I think ) once said that college football was meant to be played on campus and on real grass. Syracuse has had it half right for years, playing in a Dome that hovers over the campus' main quad. My point is that they were idiots - no matter how much more $$$ the Orange athletic department has now - for playing that game in an NFL stadium hundreds of miles from the Carrier Dome. At its real home, Syracuse could have actually beaten USC and provided a boost for a dormant program.

You get what you deserve (almost 45,000 empty seats), and that apathy is completely expected considering the surroundings. Not even Carmelo Anthony showed up. Nobody cares about college football in and around NYC.

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

almost as good as the K-State Mask

Draft saved Draft deleted