1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 14 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 25, 2013.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I ranked them this way:

Auburn
    Mizzou
    Ohio State
    FSU
    Bama

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It seems logical that the stronger your schedule is, the greater the chance that you are going to have a loss.

I think Auburn, Alabama and even Missouri are good teams. But under the current system, I don't see how you move one of them ahead of an undefeated team. I can't ever remember that happening in this (BCS) era. Whenever we've a 1-loss or 2-loss team in the championship game, it's because there were no undefeated major conference teams ahead of them. My point is you shouldn't change the rules in the middle of the game. If you want to guarantee a SEC team a spot in the championship game, then you need to set that up before the season starts.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

But there are no rules ...

4. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

yes, having a tougher schedule makes you more likely to have a loss. it doesn't mean you can pretend you don't have a loss. at best, auburn's claim is as good as an unbeaten with a weak schedule, not better.

every single aspect is subjective, including the argument that ohio state would have X number of losses if it played in the sec. nobody can prove that.

but since everything is subjective, if you're going to put a 1-loss sec team in ahead of an unbeaten major, you might as well officially give the sec its own qualifying rules.

long story short, thank god we're getting a playoff.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The SEC should be careful what it wishes for. Snubbing an undefeated Ohio State this year would lead to incredible internal political pressure during playoff selections to limit it to one team of four.

Draft saved Draft deleted