1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 14 thread: The Greatest Story Ever Toad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So USC should get two?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Because then you are comparing two teams who did not win a conference. Even if you give USC a mulligan for the title game and reset them to 11-1, what they did doesn’t stack up to what OSU did.

3. Regan MacNeil

I'm sorry, but 1-loss non-conference champion trumps 2-loss non-conference champion.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And barring the move to the Big Ten, it almost never would, because they'll rarely face (or beat) a top 10 team, because the Pac-12 just doesn't produce them at the rate other conferences do.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Virtually all of the PAC-12’s significant wins were against itself. USC and Stanford both clipped Notre Dame, but that’s negated by Ohio State doing the same. After that, the next best OOC win is either Wazzu at a .500 Wisconsin team or UCLA surviving at home against a 10-2 South Alabama team that couldn’t win its division in the Sun Belt.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

USC did not lose a home game by four touchdowns. That alone should eliminate Ohio State.

USC lost one game, by one point, at one of the toughest venues to play at in the country. Even then Utah needed at least two gift calls on its final drive by incompetent Pac-12 officials to score the winning TD/2-point conversion on almost the last play.

People far smarter than me rank USC above Ohio State. A loss in what essentially is a meaningless exhibition shouldn't change that.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It did?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OK, 22 points, that's only 3.67 touchdowns. I rounded up. But you're right, that two points makes all the difference.

Michigan scored six touchdowns, Ohio State two. But Ohio State won the all-important field-goal battle, 3-1. Ohio State got its ass kicked six ways to Saturday.

Songbird and ChrisLong like this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

This whole discussion is about if USC loses to Utah tonight. Who the fuck cares about the losses? USC would have two. TWO. Which is more than one.

Fucking figure it out already.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, it did, there's no disputing that.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

In honor of Christine McVie

I Should Coco likes this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I hope the folks at the Duke's Mayo Bowl don't have the same idea.

HanSenSE, maumann, TigerVols and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted