1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 14: Mark Richt has not once piddled on the carpet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 27, 2012.

1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I just heard of an AP report that N. Illinois is Orange Bowl bound and 15th in the BCS. So long Sooners. And so the Orange Bowl's nightmare just got worse.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Arkansas State in GoDaddy Bowl. Middle tenn is the other one left out

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yet another problem with the current setup. Bowl officials should have some say in what teams they want and don't want.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Also bit Michigan State in the ass last year, who had a better regular season than Michigan in every way, but got bypassed for the Sugar Bowl berth for the Wolverines because of the championship game loss.

This deal where teams get punished for winning their division is a gaping glitch in this system. I might semi-understand it if the team laid an egg in the Conf Championship, but instead Georgia yesterday, and Mich St. last year, played tremendous championship games (don't remember how 07 Mizzzou did), yet still got screwed over for it. Which is flat out ridiculous.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Missouri got knocked down in the 2007 title game, but not punched in the face like in 2008.

Thought the Big XII broke up because Texas was king of the world there. Moving to other conferences didn't increase anyone's chances of getting a BCS bowl berth, but it paved the way for them to receive a fairer distribution of wealth.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is correct. That 2007 scenario had very little, maybe nothing, to do with it. You don't go to the SEC for an easier path to a BCS bowl.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interesting breakdown of La Tech's bowl fail:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20121203/SPORTS0405/121203002/Roy-Lang-III-Tech-gets-busted?nclick_check=1

I wouldn't be surprised to see their AD (Bruce Van De Velde) fired over this ...

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Having played close attention to that program for decades, and having covered one of the last games between Tech and ULM, none of that surprises me. Congratulations, Tech. You out-Teched yourself.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

This is so ridiculous. The quote alone would be firing worthy if I were the guy's boss. How the fuck are you not at least prepared for the possibility of NIU making it in? I'm an armchair fan with no particular expertise in the BCS, yet I knew that Northern Illinois had an outside shot of making the BCS. It was easier for Kent State, but I knew that it was possible for NIU to make it if the chips fell right. One more thing, NIU wasn't really "selected" over Oklahoma, they got an automatic berth via the rules that non-AQ schools won as a concession! It was downright incompetent to believe that there was no shot for NIU to make it.

Also, as a small conference school with little to no tradition, how do you shit on NIU like that? I can't believe he would argue for Oklahoma over NIU when you could make almost the exact same argument about Louisiana Tech had they been 11-1.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Karl Malone is not being shy about it on Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted