1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 14, in which Oregon sacrifices Rick Neuheisel at the altar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder what other big games would have been impacted. Was the TCU-Boise game an overtime?

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

To fully consider impact, remember that you play a game differently if there is no overtime to play for.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I remember Notre Dame running out the clock in its 10-10 with Michigan State because it had one more game to play and gambled correctly that a big win would allow it to win out in the polls in 1966. LSU and Alabama might've BOTH felt that way in November if there were still ties.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, two-time defending national champion Alabama finished third that year despite going 11-0 and routing Nebraska in the Sugar Bowl. Keith Dunnavant wrote a book about that Alabama team, and it's one of the more whiny pieces of revisionism ever printed (and I say that as an Alabama graduate):

[​IMG]

Then again, Dan Jenkins famously ripped Ara Parshegian and Notre Dame in SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1079307/index.html

His lede:

5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I was going to bring that up Michael. That season probably set the standard for controversy. This season pales in comparison.

Consider that year that neither Notre Dame nor Michigan State went to bowl games and each finished 9-0-1. Notre Dame did run out the clock and settle for a tie.

Alabama, the preseason No. 1 by the way, went 11-0, won the Sugar Bowl and still finished third.

Notre Dame was voted champion by both the AP and UPI (coaches) partly based on the fact it shut out then No. 10 Oklahoma 38-0 and ended the season smashing then No. 10 USC 51-0. The Irish had six shutouts, including three in a row.

Oh and AP voters only voted for 10 teams and not all voters voted every week.

Also that season, UCLA was 9-1 and beat USC 14-7 despite playing without future Heisman winner Gary Beban. The Bruins did not go to the Rose Bowl because USC had one more conference win.

And folks think the controversies in major-college football started with the BCS.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'm sure the powers-that-be in the Pac-12 are LOVING their Friday game. [/sarcasm]
    If UCLA (30 point underdog) pulls off the miracle, bedlam will ensue.

7. Mizzougrad96

One of the reasons why I had a lot of respect for Bowden and Osborne was remembering them going for two when an extra point might have gotten them a national title. I remember Bowden going for two against Miami and I think that was their only loss that year, and obviously Nebraska went for two in the Orange Bowl when an extra point would have guaranteed a national title.

8. kickoff-time

Not really. UCLA would at least be 7-6 and what a better way for Neuheisel to go out. To me the sham is that the Bruins are already petitioning for a bowl game even if they lose to Oregon. They would be 6-7 and not bowl eligible.
    What a crock. You really want to go to a bowl game with a losing record and after what will probably be two routs in a row, plus having just fired your coach.

9. Mizzougrad96

The only reason they would be allowed is because the Pac-12 doesn't have enough bowl-eligible teams to fulfill its committment. At least that's my understanding based on what I read after the USC-UCLA game.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Didn't UCLA turn down a bowl bid a few years back because it was going to be a money-loser?

Can't imagine a better scenario than this one to say thanks but no thanks.

11. kickoff-time

I'm almost certain it will be LSU-Alabama in the BCS title game and I don't have a problem with that,

One thing under the old system is that Oklahoma State could at least have a shot for some first-place votes if say Alabama squeaks by LSU and the Cowboys were to blow out their bowl opponent. That was the fun thing where you would have top 5 teams playing each other with a shot at the national title.

Until we get playoffs, I really have no problem with a split national championship. I would have had no problem with the 2008 unbeaten Utah team sharing the national title.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

While this outcome won't really affect the BCS Mucho Grande Bowl, I'm still curious to see how well Georgia does against the SEC West's top team ... since they didn't play in the regular season.

That's one of the crappy things about making conferences bigger ... you miss out on some good matchups.

The Pac-12 is discovering this, after years of having a true round-robin conference schedule. Had Utah managed to beat Colorado, the Utes would have made the conference title game without playing Oregon and Stanford, the Pac-12 north's two best teams.

Another example from this season is Michigan and Wisconsin, two of the Big 10's top teams, who did not and will not square off.

Draft saved Draft deleted