1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 13, in which LSU and Arkansas put a boot in your ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 22, 2011.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

No offense to Nick M. and other Spartan fans -- I rooted Green and White when I lived in the state -- but I would love a Rose Bowl matchup of Oregon-Wisconsin.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

When Peyton Manning left, they won the national championship. Your argument hinges on a concept that just isn't there. Richt has proven pretty adept at producing quarterbacks. In the last six years, he's had D.J. Shockley, Matthew Stafford and Aaron Murray. Yes, that season with Joe Cox was brutal. But it was one season.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Georgia's defense is far from poorly coached. Tennessee, Florida and Auburn combined, COMBINED, for 12 yards rushing against Georgia.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

They weren't brutal losses as much as they were terrible attempts at playing defense.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

What I want to know is....why is Notre Dame still on the short list for a BCS bowl as an at-large team with three losses?

6. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Outside of the South Bend Tribune....they're not.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They are according to the BCS.

From Pat Forde's twitter: BCS just sent out list of 30 teams still under consideration for the 10 BCS bowl slots. Eight of them not eligible for AQ spots. At-large contenders: Baylor, Boise State, Houston, Kansas State, Michigan, Notre Dame, South Carolina, TCU.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Hopefully Stanford will end that pipe dream

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My guess is that they could still potentially finish in the Top 8 — at which point they're guaranteed a BCS berth — if enough teams in front of them lose.

But they're one of 30 teams up for those four spots, not one of the front-runners.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

They "qualify" if they make the top 14. I suppose anything is possible......

11. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

May not mean much outside of the islands, but the Rainbows have had some bad losses this year. Interesting.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/33463242

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Alabama's defense is well-coached too, but they didn't have a great week of preparation for Georgia Southern. It's interesting because it's such a different task and it's hard to lean on the accumulation of coaching over a season. What I'm saying is while Richt and Grantham have had a great year turning that defense around, the pressure's on for a very different challenge this week. No matter how well you've prepared them and played all year, if somebody takes QB when he should have taken the pitch man, that's a 60-yard touchdown. If a corner comes up to stop the run and lets the receiver run by him, then it might be a 60-yard bomb. That linebacker who loves to "fly to the football" might "fly" himself right out a play and be the cause for a big play.

I'm not saying Georgia won't be prepared. I'm sure they might very well do a great job on the option this week. I'm just saying you can't use statistics against a conventional running game as a barometer on how a defense will fare against a well-run option game.

Draft saved Draft deleted