1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 13, in which LSU and Arkansas put a boot in your ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is the type of season in which the playoffs are extra unpredictable. Several top seeds are stumbling down the stretch while a few bubble teams are coming on hot. Can't wait.

Here's a rundown of this week's biggest games (all times Eastern; all rankings BCS):

THURSDAY

No. 25 Texas at Texas A&M, 8 p.m.
    We'll be sending this rivalry off with a pair of teams competing for a seventh win. That just doesn't seem right.

FRIDAY

Louisville at South Florida, 11 a.m.
    This game between the 6-5 Cardinals and 5-5 Bulls has enormous Big East title implications.

No. 8 Houston at Tulsa, noon
    Tulsa's losses came at Oklahoma, at home vs. Oklahoma State and at Boise State. The Golden Hurricane are unbeaten after September.

Iowa at No. 21 Nebraska, noon
    Some farmer decided to call this "The Heroes Game."

No. 3 Arkansas at No. 1 LSU, 2:30 p.m.
    No game has greater implications on the national title race. Really, no other game has any implications on the national title race.

Pittsburgh at West Virginia, 7 p.m.
    Couches beware. Also, Pennsylvanians. Either may end up scorched.

California at Arizona State, 10:15 p.m.
    The Pac-12 South tiebreaker is a complete and total mess, but Arizona State is somehow involved.

SATURDAY

No. 13 Georgia at No. 23 Georgia Tech, noon
    SEC haters are going to hope the Yellow Jackets beat the Bulldogs, who then beat LSU or Alabama in the SEC title game.

Ohio State at No. 15 Michigan, noon
    When was the last time Michigan was ranked higher than Ohio State entering this one? Maybe Braylon Edwards' year?

Rutgers at Connecticut, noon
    If Louisville and Pittsburgh win Friday, Rutgers wins the Big East by beating the Huskies. I don't care to figure out other tiebreakers.

Tennessee at Kentucky, 12:21 p.m.
    Derek Dooley beat Vanderbilt, saving some degree of face. Beating Kentucky would do similar.

No. 2 Alabama at No. 24 Auburn, 3:30 p.m.
    If the Crimson Tide lose this, I will set myself on fire.

No. 5 Virginia Tech at Virginia, 3:30 p.m.
    This game determines the ACC Coastal Division. Winner faces Clemson.

No. 19 Penn State at No. 16 Wisconsin, 3:30 p.m.
    This game determines the Big Ten Leaders Division. Winner faces Michigan State.

Oregon State at No. 10 Oregon, 3:30 p.m.
    If Oregon State wins the Civil War, Stanford goes to the Pac-12 title game.

Florida State at Florida, 7 p.m.
    Urban Meyer wouldn't lose this, Will.

No. 17 Clemson at No. 12 South Carolina, 7:45 p.m.
    This might be the most evenly matched game of the weekend, particularly if Sammy Watkins plays. But really, rebel flags?

No. 22 Notre Dame at No. 6 Stanford, 8 p.m.
    There is a small chance that Notre Dame could steal a BCS bid with a win here.

UCLA at Southern Cal, 10 p.m.
    Southern Cal might be the best team in the Pac-12, but UCLA is the one playing for the title game berth.

2. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Well, a decade worth of frustration is about to come down on the heads of my Buckeye brethren and I. Just want to get this over with......

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Tressel went 8-1 against Michigan, and you guys fired him? Are you crazy? Woody Hayes only went 16-11-1.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Yeah....but that ONE game.....FIRE THE B*STARD!!!!!

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mississippi State hosts Ole Miss Saturday night with a chance to win three straight in the Egg Bowl for the first time since 1940-42. (The Bulldogs actually won four in a row from 39-42).

Just getting to it before blitz does ...

6. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

That aTm/'Horns game makes me sad. Should be competitive, but boring.

Ga. Tech is going to beat uGA somehow. Richt still may be on the warm-getting hotter seat next season if he loses his last three. (8-5? eh..)

The Egg Bowl was always fun, but somehow it lacks intrigue this year. And I'm a closet Miss. State fan.

I don't think Dooley is on any kind of "hot seat" until at least 2013. But keeping "The Streak" alive for Vols' fans is imperative. Kentucky does not beat Tennessee...I don't care who the coach is. Just a note, though, Dooley is doing a pretty good job, and a healthy Bray and Hunter wins them at least two more SEC games (USC, Florida).

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZ . . .

(unless anyone's actually risking capital on it, for whatever reason . . . )

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

As a Big Ten fan I'm most invested in PSU/Wisky ... I do think Wisconsin will win, too much for PSU overall.

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. Selfishly, I'm actually rooting for Wisco (who I detest), simply to keep PSU out of the B1G championship game. I hate the thought of the PSU story becoming the focus of the weekend. Both as a B1G fan.....and as someone who's attending (and really looking forward to) the game.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wisky should win that game comfortably, on their merits, and will be disappointed should they fail to do so.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

WTF are you talking about? Is this just one of those trite swipes of convenience, or is there some news in this regard?

12. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

<-- Wondering the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted