1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 12 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks to RubberSoul's tip, I looked back and found your post from, I think, Week 6. Thanks for the insight.

Sounds like your assertion in the original post regarding recruiting still stands, though. I was always impressed with how Bower's staff reeled in over-looked talent from Alabama, Florida and New Orleans.

What's Bower up to these days? Throwing down cold ones and reflecting on the good ol' days with Tim Doherty? ;D

2. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

1,110 would be respectable on the old SAT (out of a possible 1600). Isn't it 1,800 now?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's 2,400 now.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As was said before, either on this thread or elsewhere, virtually every football/men's basketball player at Cal qualifies as a special admit and has very little in common academically with the average Cal student, who probably had a 4.0 high school GPA. Probably true at UCLA as well.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Well, the big thing is Fedora whiffed on a lot of kids his last couple of years, but it wasn't for lack of trying, as has been claimed by some in the nut-sphere.

Bower lived down on the Coast for awhile, but I think he's moved back up to Hattiesburg. He and the university kissed and made up awhile back, and a lot of fans who crucified him on the interwebs have come around to realizing just how good they had it when he was coaching.

As for Doherty, he's still at the American, doing a little of everything. He does some news, covers a prep game here and there, and strings USM games for AP (what some people will do for a paycheck LOL).

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/Barry_Switzer/status/401364412256112640

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bang on. I'm curious to the MSU-Nebraska game. MSU's defense is great; offense seems mediocre. I could see them winning the Big Ten or finishing 9-3 and in the Outback Bowl. Ohio State's offense has looked damn near unstoppable every time I've seen them, so that will be the ultimate test.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Given that, they should be kicking serious butt in football and men's basketball.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Gotta give some love to the Gophers on a bye week. They're 8-2 with two separate four-game winning streaks. Given all the stuff that has happened with head coach Jerry Kill and his health situation, that staff and the players have done a hell of a job. They're an old-school, smash-mouth, straight ahead running team with a little play action thrown in since Philip Nelson has taken over a QB. They don't turn the ball over often, don't take stupid penalties and get the most from their limited talent.

With Wisconsin and Michigan State left on the schedule, they may well lose them and finish at 8-4, but that's still a hell of an accomplishment and deserving of a mid-level bowl game. And, maybe even more importantly, it sets the stage for them to recruit even better players who might not have wanted to go there in the past.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Too bad Keith Price is hurt for UW I really like that guy. And I actually like these UCLA black jerseys. Don't know about the coaches going "black" with the grease paint though.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not a fan of the black jerseys and helmets. Seems like every team does it at least once per year. What's the point?

Got along just fine in the days when teams had one helmet and two uniforms, one white and one color.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

True - it's played out and a cliche, but I liked how they incorporated the shoulder stripes into the numbers. And since UCLA has messed up their blue - I'd say it is an improvement.

Draft saved Draft deleted