1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 12 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed, I read the charts incorrectly. Thank you.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I even forgot about the '85 Hula Bowl. Alabama whupped 'em 24-3. But those were dark years for USC.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And indeed often credited for integrating Southern college football.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Which isn't true. Wilbur Jackson (Alabama's first black scholarship signee) was a freshman in 1970, when USC played in Birmingham. He just didn't play in the game because freshmen weren't eligible then (the rule changed in 1972).

The wishbone debut was in the L.A. Coliseum in 1971. Jackson and John Mitchell, a JuCo transfer, both played in that game for Alabama.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great stuff, Xan. In the first 10 minutes I noticed:

1. Old fashioned, 1970s-80s "cut off" mesh jerseys.

2. Four-point stance by the Alabama linemen near the goalline. And three-point stances for the wide receivers.

3. Ozzie Newsome returning punts!

4. Yes, the cameramen were scouring the crowd for blondes.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The LSU-Wisconsin game is at Lambeau, which should be pretty awesome. When, if ever, have they played a college game there?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Steak Snabler

Never. Until recently, Lambeau wasn't big enough for a Wisconsin game. They've added something like 20,000 additional seats in the last 10-12 years to get to 80,000.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

They HAVE played college hockey there. I'm still missing the toes to prove it.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which of the various Winston-in-trouble threads we were talking about that NYT series on how the Tallahassee PD is a bunch of fanboys who have become the private security force of the FSU athletic department ... but it happened again last month and the NYT continues to kill it.

Cornerback P.J. Williams rammed his car into another at 2:37 a.m. Oct. 5, then took off running with his car still in the intersection. The case was initially filed as a hit-and-run. When Williams returned to the scene, he ended up instead with two traffic tickets and no BAC test.

Afterward, the case did not show up in the city’s public online database of police calls — a technical glitch, the police said.

The university police, who lacked jurisdiction, nevertheless sent two ranking officers — including the shift commander — to the scene. Yet they wrote no report about their actions that night. Florida State dismissed the role of its officers in the incident as too minor to require a report or enter into their own online police log, comparing it to an instance when campus officers responded to a baby possum falling from a tree.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/sports/ncaafootball/for-an-fsu-football-player-a-hit-and-run-becomes-two-traffic-tickets.html?_r=1

There's a lot of stuff in that story -- about a similar case involving a non-player that was charged as a hit-and-run, about a curiously timed smash-and-grab at a nearby Exxon, and about the FSU administration just flat-out making up crap about mutual-aid policies that the Tallahassee PD says don't exist.

Football town.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Youtube is the most lethal time-wasting device ever conceived. Got sucked into watching almost all of that. Entertaining stuff.

And, yeah, the cameraman seemed obsessed with that one blonde in particular. Even after the shot of her walking the steps, the camera goes back and finds her in the stands a few more times, including in the final shot at the end of the broadcast. And for good reason: she epitomized the smokin 70s blonde archetype.

11. Steak Snabler

Newsome was a split end in college. Amari Cooper broke a lot of his school records this year (the ones Julio Jones hadn't already broken).

Also, Barry Krauss was a clutch sumbitch.

12. Steak Snabler

Minnesota assistant eating ice cream in a snowstorm:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted