1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 12, in which Les Miles reads Houston Nutt's will

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Virginia Tech is en route to its fourth ACC title and Orange Bowl bid in five years. Yes, I am writing off Clemson's title game chances. I know it's ACC football, but that's stunning.

Also, that one other year was 2009, when Georgia Tech, with Josh Nesbitt and Jonathan Dwyer, beat the Hokies by five points in Atlanta. Each team went 6-1 in its other seven ACC games, and the Ryan Williams-led Hokies played a tougher schedule. In other words, Virginia Tech was a touchdown from making four, and now potentially five, Orange bowls in a row.

Frank Beamer has a career 2-5 mark in bowls now incorporated into the Bowl Championship Series. I'd still take him as my coach.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hold the phone, bub. They haven't even clinched the Coastal Division yet. #hooshooshooshoos #yestheyhavetobeatfsuatdoak

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

In fanboi news, FSU's play-by-play man Gene Deckerhoff will be broadcasting his 400th game:

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111711aad.html

Started in 1979 and has also done basketball Tampa Bay games-the day after FSU games (on idea if he still does those, though.)

I grew up listening to "Gene, Gene the Sports Machine" and still do. God bless Internet radio.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Oklahoma State has turned it over twice and Iowa State has already missed a FG. Almost end of the first quarter in Ames.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

God bless Iowa State. Cowboys try like hell to give it away; Iowa State gives it right back.

From what I have seen, OSU could have 200 turnovers tonight, and Iowa State would find a way to screw it up.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Just looked at the box score. It can't possibly be correct that Iowa State has 22 pass attempts in one quarter, right?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's why they're Iowa State. The Cyclones are the only team in the Big 12 that's never won a conference title in football dating back to the Big 6. Even Baylor won the SWC a few times.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember a few years ago when Dan McCarney was still there, they had a shot to win the Big 12 North. Would've been their first championship of any kind since, IIRC, 1912.
    Naturally, their kicker missed a 19-yard field goal at the end of regulation against Colorado, they lost the game in overtime and Colorado won the North.
    Once BCS matchup I think it's safe to say we'll never see is Iowa State-Vanderbilt.

As an aside, that's post No. 9,999 for me. Am I supposed to do something profound for No. 10,000? Do I get a party, or balloons, or a clown or something?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think that game was against Missouri.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

So Iowa State and Oklahoma State are tied with 5:30 left.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow that camera zoom that ESPN just used on the ISU TD pass would make a CIA analyst drool. It was a hell of a closeup.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

BCS chaos. Love it. Now to get a loss on LSU.

Draft saved Draft deleted