1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 12, in which Les Miles reads Houston Nutt's will

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Surprised this thread wasn't made earlier.

A rundown of big, and not-so-big, games Saturday (BCS rankings listed; all times Eastern):

No. 16 Nebraska at No. 18 Michigan, noon
    These two could be fighting for the No. 3 Big Ten bowl bid. Exciting!

Cincinnati at Rutgers, noon
    If you care about the Big East championship, this game should interest you.

Samford at No. 24 Auburn, 1 p.m.
    The defending national champion Tigers have the same record (6-4) as the FCS Bulldogs.

Georgia Southern at No. 3 Alabama, 2 p.m.
    The Eagles are one of the best teams in the FCS. The Crimson Tide are one of the worst teams in the NFL best teams in the FBS.

No. 1 Louisiana State at Mississippi, 7 p.m.
    Houston Nutt's last home game in Oxford. As Erick "E-Dubble" Sermon once said, "What a way to go out, out like a sucka."

Virginia at No. 25 Florida State, 7:30 p.m.
    If the Cavaliers pull off the upset (and Virginia Tech beats North Carolina on Thursday), they play the Hokies for the ACC Coastal title.

Southern California at No. 4 Oregon, 8 p.m.
    There's no realistic chance Matt Barkley gets picked ahead of Andrew Luck, but I still think he's going to be a very good NFL player.

No. 5 Oklahoma at No. 22 Baylor, 8 p.m.
    The Bears have not beaten a worthwhile opponent since their opener against TCU.

No. 10 Boise State at San Diego State, 8 p.m.
    Rocky Long and the Aztecs are flying under the radar, but Kellen Moore has never lost two games in one season for the Broncos.

No. 13 Kansas State at No. 23 Texas, 8 p.m.
    Who retires (for real) first: Mack Brown or Bill Snyder?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The BCS NGC road will not be significantly altered by this week's outcomes. OU and K-State are in potential trap games, but realistically, neither will sniff New Orleans.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Of interest only to people living within a stone's throw of I-40 is the Vandy/Tennessee game.

For the first time in memory, Vanderbilt is less than a FG underdog, and the game is in Neyland. Since it's a night game, attendance will be less than 75K, and if Dooley loses this one...well, let's just say mommy Babs will have to go into full-press defense mode.

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

South Carolina finishes their SEC slate 6-2, their best conference record ever, but won't go to Atlanta unless Kentucky pulls off the upset of the year. Given that the Kittens lost to Vanderbilt by 30, Georgia dropping this one seems highly unlikely.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm hoping Rutgers beats Cincinnati so we can be assured of seeing yet another Big East team with three (or more) losses in the BCS.

Automatic bid, bay-bee!

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

but it works. One is paired up against two and every game is a playoff game..........

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

USC at Oregon should be one helluva game.
    I believe Oregon all but clinched a spot in the Pac-12 title game by beating Stanford last week, since I don't see Oregon State being able to stop the Ducks next week.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

One thing that could throw the BCS into a tizzy: LSU vs. Arkansas. Remember, the one notable aspect of this season for LSU is that Les hasn't done anything truly stupid — yet. If he does next week, Arkansas is good enough to make it hurt.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I said on last week's thread that Arkansas will beat LSU, and Auburn will beat Alabama......therefore setting up Oklahoma State v. Oregon.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Further proof Vandy's moving in the right direction, SEC-wise:

A Vandy DB was arrested for armed robbery:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111116/SPORTS0602/111116012/Vanderbilt-football-player-charged-burglary-robbery?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We have The Game this week. Harvard-Yale. Oklahoma wasn't even a state when they started playing. If you want to see tailgating and what WASPs wear outdoors when it's cold, this is the game for you.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Tennessee has never lost 6 SEC games, if I'm not mistaken. They've got Vandy and Kentucky left, so they could avoid it this year if they don't play keep playing like total dogshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted