1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 11 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 3, 2014.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Whoever is calling the offensive plays for Ball State tonight should be fired before he gets on the bus. Allowing that quarterback to throw 35+ times is just baffling.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The first Floyd trophy:

[​IMG]

And thanks, Lou Holtz. No, really, thanks a lot:

His treasures have been the University’s trash, Patrin said. He’s swooped in numerous times over the years as the University threw out what he saw as a prized piece of memorabilia.

Minnesota lost numerous prized items when former football head coach Lou Holtz threw out items unrelated to major rivalries when he moved from Cooke to the Bierman Athletic Facility in the mid-1980s.

As a child, Patrin distinctly remembers his grandfather pointing out a football he played with as a player at Iowa State sitting on display in Cooke. Patrin was horrified to find that years later, Holtz ordered it along with many items to be thrown out.

Because he made just a brief two-year stop in Minneapolis, Holtz didn’t understand the history of the program, Patrin said.

"The way they were destroying everything was a miscarriage of tradition," Patrin said.

http://www.mndaily.com/2010/11/24/fan-finds-forgotten-u-football-history

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Cool story about the wooden pig, MH.

And I'm not surprised Holtz would do something like that.

I still recall my only encounter with him: as a fan attending a memorable Ohio State-Notre Dame game in the mid 1990s. As you may know, the entire team walks through a tunnel of fans from the chapel to the Notre Dame stadium a couple hours before kickoff. All the players and coaches walked through and received encouragement from the crowd. Except Holtz. He alone rode through enclosed in a car driven by some flunkie. Looking annoyed as hell about it all.

4. Machine Head

Yeah, he's a swell guy.

The game Saturday will be interesting. This is the last game the Gophers have a shot at winning the rest of the way. If the Gophers have to rely on their QB to make plays, very good chance Iowa wins.

Still, I have to carry on.

Fear the Gopher! 8)

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Toledo that had a point shaving scandal not too long ago?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes it was Toledo and their shave against Buffalo fuct my 6-team parlay that would've paid $2000. First 5 games hit and Toledo was a slam dunk.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Clemson might be throwing it at Wake.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

TCU RB B.J. Catalon out vs. Kansas State.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24788451/tcu-rb-bj-catalon-wont-play-against-kansas-state

That's big.

9. Machine Head

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

11. Machine Head

Yes, Floyd is rather magnificent.

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Holtz knows next to nothing about tradition anywhere. I seem to recall, upon his hiring at Notre Dame, he wanted to permanently put the interlocking ND on the helmets. (This, of course, was well before everybody Oregonized their unis and introduced 3-4 helmets.)

As for this week's games ... safest money out there is Texas getting 4. The Horns win this one straight up and rather handily, I think.

WVU (full disclosure: my alma mater) is notoriously terrible the week after losing what we call gut-punch games and TCU last week certainly qualifies as one.

Draft saved Draft deleted