1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 11 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jeff Quinn could be setting himself up for a new gig soon. UB's only losses this season are at Ohio State and at Baylor.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I won't be surprised at all if Graham bails on ASU sooner rather than later - the President gave permission for Patterson to pursue the Texas gig as long as he doesn't hire anyone currently at ASU. Maybe Graham would be a candidate for the Longhorns job if it comes open, maybe not - but to take that off the table for your football coach as an option or at least a bargaining chip is pretty damn rough. Don't know if it is enforceable.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/05/report-todd-graham-ineligible-for-any-potential-job-openings-at-texas/

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Todd Graham, pfffft.

Saban's agent, in that meeting in January, told Texas regents the little dictator was feeling "special pressure" at Alabama because he's just so damn good.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBC_TEXAS_SABAN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-11-05-19-18-47

4. DanOregon

The problem for Texas isn't offering Saban $10 mil a year, it's putting the flag in the ground and NOT getting Saban and ending up overpaying for someone not in Saban's league. Bama will top any offer.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

USA Today releases all FBS coach salaries:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/ncaaf/coach/

Three head coaches making $5-million-plus this year --- Nick Saban, Mack Brown and ... Bret Bielema.

Eight coaches making $4 million, 17 making $3 million and 50 making $2 million.

6. Armchair_QB

Kind of surprised that several private schools released that information.

7. DanOregon

Notre Dame has the lowest paid coach of the AQ schools (not including AAC schools)? Stunned. And there are some extremely overpaid ACC coaches.

8. Armchair_QB

The ND info only includes his base school pay. I suspect his non-school pay moves him fairly far up the list.

9. DanOregon

Looking at some of those salaries in USA Today made me think it's just the tip of the iceberg. Figure many of deals are for 8-10 years putting the school on the hook if the coach doesn't live up to the pay (as most of them aren't).
    I'd rather pay a head coach $5 mil a year, with a rolling 1-year option, rather than some of these six year $14 mil deals that are a bitch to buy out.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If Todd Graham becomes the next head coach of the University of Texas, I will be astounded.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"Well, Pennuhh an' I have familiuhh inna' Austin Area so disis likahh homecummin' fer us. Plus, umma big 'ol Earl Campbell guy. HIGH OCTANE! LEFT LANE! HAMMER DOWN! SCHPEED SCHPEED SCHPPED."
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Born in the SEC," by Rick Neuheisel. Know it, love it, sing it at karaoke.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/07/this-is-real-and-its-spectacular-rick-neuheisel-sings-born-in-the-sec/

Draft saved Draft deleted