1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 11 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ryan, if they lose more, they'll drop out of the rankings. But there's a limit to how far you can drop a team whose only loss was to one of the national championship contenders.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No, there's not.

3. Michael_ Gee

Just because Miami didn't cover in its wins doesn't mean they didn't count. Even an ACC team with a 7-1 record is likely to be in the top 20. Stanford is a better team than Miami, but there's no question its loss to Utah was much worse than losing to Florida State whatever the score.

4. JackReacher

Has nothing to do with them not covering, although the margin did prove enough.

They struggled to beat UNC and Wake Forest. They're without their best player. Not the 14th best team in the country. Not even close.

Use your eyes, Michael.

5. Michael_ Gee

So far this season, ranking Miami 14th is reasonable. Basing poll votes on predictions of future performance is not reasonable. As noted, if Miami loses more games, they will drop in the polls. If they win more, they probably will stay around where they are.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Arizona State's Steve Patterson to be Texas' next athletic director:

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1570738

Todd Graham to Austin, baby!

7. JackReacher

I'm not basing it on predictions of future performances. I'm basing it on what I've seen thus far and the fact that Duke Johnson is out. Which is exactly what the selection committee will base their selections on, starting next year. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Given the fact that the polls come out WAY too early to begin with (before we know anything), what's wrong with recognizing that you over- or under-ranked a team and fixing your mistake? Most voters are afraid to, that's why. Better to run safely with the pack than have to explain your WEIRD!!! decision. Fuck that.

Anyway, sorry for the Miami-jack. It just caught my eye when I looked at the polls this morning.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Baylor's remaining schedule -- OU, Texas Tech, Okla St, TCU and Texas. Three ranked teams and one that could be by the time they play. If by some chance they run that table, and say Oregon or Bama slip up, could Baylor jump past Florida State who finishes with Wake, Syracuse, Idaho and a very down Florida team?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that. FSU has already brained Clemson and Miami.

I don't know what would happen between FSU and Oregon if both are undefeated, but Baylor isn't jumping either of them.

10. Michael_ Gee

I agree with Ryan that preseason polls are ridiculous. Who doesn't? But let's face it, preseason poll evaluation is the main reason Alabama is still ranked ahead of Florida State. Alabama is being rewarded for past season performance, which is less rational than being evaluated on one's 2013 record.
    Baylor's not going to go undefeated, but if it should, it would certainly move way up. History says that the five undefeated teams of November 5 will be the one or two undefeated teams of mid-December.

11. JackReacher

Alabama seems to have done plenty this year to justify being No. 1.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Alabama allowed 42 points to Texas A&M, and has allowed 36 points TOTAL in its 7 other games. They allowed 20 points TOTAL in four October games.

True, other than at Texas A&M they don't have an overly impressive win. But they led in that game by three touchdowns headed into the fourth quarter. It wasn't nearly as close as the final score would indicate.

Yes, Auburn won at A&M as well, but last I checked Auburn was 7-1. And Manziel was healthy when he played Alabama.

Alabama also shut out a pretty good Ole Miss team. I'd argue the Rebels probably beat Miami on a neutral field.

Draft saved Draft deleted