1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 11 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 4, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Missouri before Larry Smith and then Pinkel.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Kansas State under Bill Snyder (the first time he went there), easily.

The Wildcats won 3 games total in the 4 years before he arrived in 1989, had had one winning season since 1970 (6-5-1 in 1982) and 4 since World War II (1953, 1954, 1970 & 1982), had never been ranked in the final AP Top 20 & had played in one bowl game ever (the 1982 Independence Bowl).

KSU went 1-10 in his first year, but improved to 5-6 his second year, went 7-4 his third year and was in a bowl in his fourth year. The Wildcats finished the decade of the 90s winning 9, 9, 10, 9, 11, 11 & 11 games; won 11 games again in 2000, slipped to 6-6 in 2001, then won 11 & 11 the next two years before finally falling off in 2004 & 2005 (at which time Snyder retired the first time).

His second tenure hasn't been half-bad either.

3. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Good insight on both accounts. Mizzou never won more than three conference games in a season between 1984 until 1997, though they weren't stuck in the basement like Baylor was. That was Kansas State territory in the Big 8.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bill Snyder's building of the KState program has no modern equivalent in college football that's even in the same area code.

As bad as Baylor was from 1995-2010, the Bears could at least claim a few Cotton Bowls & SWC championships in their past.

Kansas State football was a wasteland for the better part of 90 years before Snyder showed up. One conference championship in 1934 and an Independence Bowl appearance in 1982. That's it for the high points in KSU history pre-Snyder.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd say what Briles has done at Baylor is closer to what Nick Saban did at LSU than what Snyder did at K-State.

LSU had three winning seasons in the 1990s, had been largely irrelevant since 1988 (save a shocking win over Florida in 1997) and was losing top in-state recruits to the Florida schools (Ike Hilliard, Reggie Wayne & Warrick Dunn to name a few) and places like San Diego State (Marshall Faulk) and Colorado (Kordell Stewart) when Saban arrived there in 2000. We all know what's happened since then.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

+1

As a young AP stringer I had the "opportunity" to cover K-State games, namely because the staffers couldn't be bothered to attend another blow-out. The change in culture that Snyder pulled off can not be overstated.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

FWIW:
    15. Fresno State @ Wyoming: 10:15 EST Saturday Night. ESPN2

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Different week than the one micropolitan was referencing. But point is still the same. Too damn late to start a game that is likely to last until close to midnight.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

On the other hand it makes sense from a programming angle. Prime time to the region most likely to watch the game. I know the Pac-12 is hacked about it, but that's what the money is for.
    I know the SEC "Saturday Night Specials" on ESPN with Franklin and Gottfried that started at 8 p.m. local helped put the conference on the map and led the networks to put college football on in prime time.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Going up against San Diego State at San Jose State with a 7:30 p.m. PST start on CBSSN.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Personally, I love the 9:30 local time kicks.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How in the hell is Miami ranked 14th in the human polls? I think it's a stretch to call them a top 25 team at all, especially now that they're playing without Duke Johnson. Miami's last three games have been putrid. They can lose three of their final four, too. Wouldn't be surprising.

Draft saved Draft deleted