1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 11: Indiana is playing for a Big Ten title. In football.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 6, 2012.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

How about the looks on the faces of the Kentucky bro/dude students who had just stormed the field, upon realizing LSU had won? Just priceless.

And per Rece Davis, he was "The Battleship Lorenzen."

The Cap One Bowl Hail Mary was two years later, once JaMarcus had taken over for LSU.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The only reason the MAC hasn't owned the Big East is because the bottom of the MAC features teams that couldn't win DIII championships. But the top of the MAC, yeah.

3. RubberSoul1979

Speaking of the MAC, whatever happened to that Northern Illinois coach who beat three BCS teams - Alabama included - in one year, went 10-3, but didn't go to a bowl?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Joe Novak, whose team went 10-2, retired five years ago.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure it qualified as a Hail Mary. It was a totally blown coverage.
    In any event, that was also Saban's last play as LSU's coach. In retrospect, it's like watching Paul Orndorff piledrive Hulk Hogan.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And that was Warren Holloway's only college touchdown.

Randall was still around at LSU at that point, splitting time with Russell (who was a redshirt freshman). Randall started and won the game against Alabama in 2004, among others.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It looks like Klein is playing and even if he doesn't the Sams kid hasn't looked bad. Besides, the TCU defense gave up 56 to TxTech, so it's nothing special. And the KState defense is legit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

TCU gave up 36 to Texas Tech in regulation, 20 in three overtimes. These Horned Frogs aren't cut from the Gary Patterson prototype, but they aren't a bad defense.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Correct. Russell hadn't quite taken over in 2004. He started for the first time at Florida (after the losses at Auburn and Georgia) and dug himself and LSU a quick 14-0 deficit, and Randall bailed him out. Randall started the majority of the games that season. In fact, if memory serves, LSU's quarterbacks at the Capital One Bowl, in the order in which they got into the game, were Randall, Matt Flynn and finally Russell, who led what would have been the first of his many fourth-quarter comebacks at LSU.

Except for that final-play defensive bust. Oops.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It was also Holloway's only college catch and it was his final game. Hell of a way to go out.

11. RubberSoul1979

I think Matt Mauck, Matt Flynn and Zach Mettenberger are all the same guy.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

JaMarcus Russell is a puncline these days, but he was a badass at LSU. He had the strongest arm of any college quarterback I ever saw as an adult.

(I saw Dan Marino in the Senior Bowl when I was 9, and I remember being in awe. Of course, I was also in awe of getting O.A. "Bum" Phillips to sign my game program that day).

Draft saved Draft deleted