1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 10 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Isolation is relative to convenience of travel. As they are in cities with major international airports, Minnesota and UNLV hardly strike me as isolated. Boise and Pullman, on the other hand....
    I recall once I applied for a job in Boise, and a friend of mine who lives in Salt Lake City told me, "You know, Mike, Boise's really far from here, let alone Boston."

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Lubbock is so isolated it might as well be on another planet.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If traveling by car, it's basically Lubbock and Boise as the most isolated. Each are about 290-300 miles from the nearest FBS school. Boise's closest is U of Idaho (298 miles). Lubbock's is TCU (293).

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I am certainly basing my statement on general feelings of isolation and traveling difficulties. As an SID at a smaller D-I school, we played in some places where you had to take the smaller planes or drive 2-3 hours from the airport to get to.

Closest thing to civilization in Pullman is Spokane and that's a couple hours by car if the weather is good. Lubbock ranks up there as well. But Lubbock is officially 236,000 people, making it the 84th biggest city in the United States. Pullman is 29,000. Pullman in the winter feels like Siberia.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not questioning that Pullman is isolated, but coupled with nearby UI there are more than 30,000 college students in the area and if it takes you two hours to get to SpoCompton in good weather you need to step on the gas.

And a Devil's Night football game in Pullman could be an absolute blast, given the amount of beer Wazzu students can consume.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Beer + Halloween + Football + Pullman at night = Not a good formula.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, duh, it just hit me. No wonder you schedule the Sun Devils on Halloween. Surprised these jokers didn't get the Duke Blue Devils to play the early game that night.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Um, Hawaii?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I said "other than Hawaii" back about 15 posts ago ...

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Mike Price in particular had a way to make Pullman's remoteness and smallness appeal to parents of recruits, I will give him credit for that.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted