1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 10: Sandy knew not to mess with Nick and Les

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Oct 30, 2012.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

I hate USC with a passion, but I do have to concede they are the gold standard. They've won more conference titles than Oregon, Washington and Washington State put together.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Micropolitan guy is right.

There are certain programs --- Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame -- where perception is bigger than whatever the current record is. Those schools, understandably, go to great lengths to showcase their champioship banners and trophies, list of all-Americans, etc.

There was a time up through the 1970s when college football consisted of about a dozen teams in the minds of most fans. Yes, a lot of newcomers have crashed the party in the last 30 years, but perception is what it is and that creates the "gold standard". Texas is a classic example. No matter what the record might be this year, there's the perception the school is one coaching change or one good recruit away from a national championship.

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

With 100 games on television these days, history is not nearly as important. When there was 1 or 2 games per day on the tube each Saturday, it meant a lot because most were fans of the teams who were on TV. (ND, Okla, Texas, USC, Alabama, Penn State)

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You will regret this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As long as polls are part of the BCS and, soon, playoff field formula, history and "brand name" programs will matter.

Look back at the last decade of preseason AP and coaches polls. Big name schools like Notre Dame get votes year after year, without any successful seasons lately, because some voters think, "Oh, the Irish just hired a great offensive mind in Charlie Weis ... they're BACK!"

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I see that game as a preview of what happens if Alabama plays ND in the championship -- two great defenses (one greater than the other, granted) and one good offense versus one offense that would have a hard time winning an FCS championship. So it comes down to can the opposing D pitch a shutout and can they find a fluke play somewhere.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED!!!!! -- that you'd say that.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Fluke play? LSU's defense is much worse than it was last year. Alabama's offense is better than it was last year. I don't think this is coming down to any flukes. The last time, in New Orleans, it was 21-0.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

True, that's why I said Alabama was a good offense. They weren't last year.

I know they played and it was 21-0. They also played a game where Alabama couldn't score.

I'd lay the 9.5 but it wouldn't be the most shocking thing of the year for LSU to grind one out 13-10.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Alabama's kickers (the same ones, yes) are better this year, too.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The Alabama-LSU series over the last 30 years is really goofy. A road team series for sure. LSU has had a number of big wins in Tuscaloosa, but Alabama just seems to dominate the games in Baton Rouge.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Alabama DID dominate in Baton Rouge until Saban got to LSU. Between 1969 and 2000, Alabama never lost there (there was a tie in 1985). But since 2000, LSU has won 4 of 6 in Baton Rouge. They've also won 5 of 6 in Tuscaloosa.

Alabama DOES dominate the series when it's played in New Orleans, however. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted