1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 10: Sandy knew not to mess with Nick and Les

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just thinking: I cannot even imagine the reaction from Notre Dame fans should K-State get into the BCS title game over an undefeated ND team AND Collin Klein beats out Manti Te'o for the Heisman.

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Been saying this since the Army All-American game. Kid can't rise to the talent he plays against. Arkansas HS football must be pure shit.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Things could break one of two ways for Notre Dame:

--They could become the beneficiaries EDIT I don't mean beneficiaries, I mean victims of the TWO biggest screw jobs of the past 20 years, the other being 1993 when voters decided to throw out the ass-kicking they handed Florida State because, well, because.

--They could make it their last two national titles that hinged on a bullshit goal-line call at home that bailed them out.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Guys, we're talking SEC right now.

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

The USC/Oregon tilt got me thinking, and comparing.

USC (October) 1971 - (November) 1975: 25-0-2 in conference, three Rose Bowls, one national title.

USC 2002 - 2008: 50-6 in conference, 27 straight Pac-10 wins from '03 to '06, 6-1 in BCS bowls, two national titles

Oregon 2009 - Present: 30-2 in conference, two Rose Bowls, one BCS national championship game, looking at a fourth straight Pac-10/12 title.

The Ducks are rapidly gaining ground. They've already knocked USC from its "best in the west" throne, while a win Saturday gives them more reason to brag. This is a more DOMINATING group than the most recent 'SC dynasty. If you compare their average margin of victory since 2010 to what Carroll's Trojan teams did from late '03 to '05, it's advantage Oregon. A 14-0 season/national title this year takes the debate to a whole new level.

As for the future, let's see what happens when Kelly leaves for the NFL or they become an Adidas school, whichever comes first.

7. LongTimeListener

What NFL team is going to want Chip Kelly and his junk offense based on quarterbacks who can't throw? He is a college guy all the way and would be nothing when the wad of cash given to players is the same for every team.

8. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Well the Bucs nearly swooped in and got him, so it's not quite as far-fetched as you make it sound. That wasn't nearly my point.

I think when I said "Chip Kelly" to the NFL, you read it as "Bud Wilkinson" or "Lou Holtz."

9. LongTimeListener

Ah yes, I forgot about the Bucs. I should have said "competent, professional NFL team." But I suppose there are enough teams that are neither, as evidenced by the jackass the Bucs did end up hiring.

That would be a fucking laugh riot if Chip Kelly tried to bring that shit to the NFL. But maybe it would give Tebow a landing spot so I guess I could get behind it after all.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon has been very good lately, no question, but ...

* Carroll won his BCS games, except for the shootout with Texas. Kelly is 1-2.

* USC played a real non-conference schedule and did not beat up on the tomoto cans Oregon has played under Kelly. He lost the lone OOC game he's played against quality competion (destroyed by LSU on a neutral field in 2011).

* USC was the best team in the Pac-10 at the end of last year. It dominated the Ducks in Eugene for 3.5 quarters in beating them last year, and would have been no worse than even money to beat them again in the conference championship, had it been able to play.

* Oregon will be on probation at this time next year. USC was on probation, but for illegal benefits to a player it already had signed, not for paying street agents to land recruits and other illegal recruiting tactics, which is what Oregon is being investigated for.

Kelly's a very good coach, some NFL team will probably throw millions at him, and then watch its QB get killed and watch him completely alienate the local media.

Every team to defeat Colorado this season has lost its next game. Let's see if that pattern continues this week when the Ducks go to USC.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And can we also see what happens after my threesome with Kate Upton and Kate Middleton?

Because that'll happen before the the athletic department owned by Phil Knight becomes "an Adidas school."

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You're nothing if not consistent with your hard-on for Oregon.

The "tomato can" OOC games include Utah and Boise State (both top 20 teams) in 2009, Tennessee in 2010, and LSU last year. (Oregon was "destroyed" by 13; it was the most points scored on LSU all year, and LSU's closest game aside from the Alabama loss.)

All three OOC games this year had to be rescheduled in the past two years after the scheduled opponents backed out. That includes undefeated Kansas State.

Draft saved Draft deleted