1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 30, 2021.

1. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which was more cringeworthy - BK's attempt at humor or blonde sideline girl's robotic questions. Stephen Hawking's voice box had more inflections.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As soon as they put in the defensive conversion some 25 or so years ago, I had a coach tell me that if you ever score a TD to take a 1-or-2 point lead in the final 15 seconds of the game, you should never kick the PAT but instead run your victory formation play, have the QB kneel on the ball. The reasoning being that if you attempt a PAT kick, they could block it and run it back for two; ditto if you attempt a scrimmage play for a two point conversion. So your only truly safe play is to down the ball.

On the flip side of that coin, if you are on defense in such a situation, give up
    a TD on the final play of the game to go down one or two points, you should insist the other team attempt an extra point, even though the rules state it may be waived.
    Right. You know that and I know that but some guys who do a lot of HS and lower level (D-2, D-3, NAIA) don't know it, so some day some game will blow up when they screw up the call.

MileHigh likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This was long before the playoff. One year USC goes to Corvallis. Favored by many. Beavers sucked. Beavers score touchdown, 7-0. Beavers score another touchdown, 13-0. USC blocks the PAT and runs it back, 13-2. I'd never seen this sequence, or score, 13-2.

Instead of 14-0 like it'd be 99.8% of the time, it's 13-2. USC keeps momentum, wakes up, dominates, and trounces the Beavers.

Always wondered how the game plays out if Beavers made the second PAT to go up 14-0.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Don't. We've seen where your mind goes if Nathan Peterman would have just not thrown that first pick.

5. Songbird

He wouldn't have thrown 6 that day. (He still may have but unlikely.)

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

7. Songbird

UCLA deserves all the love it gets.

Enormous win for the country's biggest underachiever in FBS.

maumann likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was at that game. Final was 27-19 USC. Beavers unveiled a QB named Tim Alexander in the second quarter who ran wild on USC (18-112-1) until he broke a collarbone late 3Q on a late hit OOB.

Songbird likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Even if the score is tied at the time?

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I happen to think the UCLA uniforms, particularly with the throwback numbers, are some of the sharpest out there. That may date all the way back to Gary Beban and the Bruins upsetting Michigan State in the 1966 Rose Bowl, which was shown in COLOR! (Plus, my first high school had the same color combination. And they've also darkened their sky blue, which is sad.)

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the patented UCLA Blue (tm), which I believe is halfway between a royal and a powder blue. It just seems "flatter" than the blue that Harmon and Aikman wore back in the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted