1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football, week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Hey, we can lose those games too!"
    — Tennessee

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There really is nothing better than "losing Duck fan." They're ready to dump Cristobol, think Herbert won't be a first rounder and all the assistants need to be dumped.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought Georgia Southern would give LSU a game. At least stay within four touchdowns, maybe have LSU fans cocking a nervous eyebrow in the third quarter.
    None of those things happened.
    Between that and Ohio State and Mississippi State letting their Grade-B opponents score a shit ton of fourth quarter touchdowns after it looked they were on their way to easy covers, it was not a good day for the Bat Gambling Fund.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When punting goes wrong.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the night ends with USC escaping with a 31-23 home win over Fresno State. But at least we know which students got in via parental bribes.
    [​IMG]

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The game draws at least 54,000 (the capacity of Folsom Field or the CSU stadium) every year and draws a lot more interest every year than if either school scheduled Minnesota or Vanderbilt future (CU and CSU opponents, respectively). So financially it makes sense to go to Denver.

But it is a no win situation for the Buffs because the expectation is that the Power Five school should beat a Mountain West school. I think CU is just being cowardly.

Historically the Buffs have only scheduled CU under political pressure. I think it should be applied again and I don't think CSU should have to schedule two road games for one home game.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Weird week.

I lot of the sharps I respect were on Florida State, Georgia Southern, Louisiana Tech, Northwestern, USC.

None of them covered.

If not for hitting the Carolina Battle and Oregon-Auburn unders, I would have been massacred.

Northwestern and Kentucky-Toledo under chopped me up pretty good.

At least Sunday brings opportunity to climb up the mountain. CFL, WNBA and the game tonight.

Batman likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

SC frat boys always miss the G-spot.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Penn State - another 80s has-been like Colorado - has been playing the 2-for-1 card with Pitt for 20 years and Pitt, in a rare moment of not being stupid, has told them to kick rocks. This is the last year of the Pitt-PSU series and there's a good chance it won't be renewed again in my lifetime (fine with me. I've grown tired of the snark and bullshit from both sides). PSU uses the same angle as Colorado in regards to scheduling - "we have nothing to gain" and, my personal favorite, "Penn State doesn't care about Pitt." I guess it's just happy coincidence the most expensive tickets for a PSU home game are the ones for Pitt.

I can at least kind of empathize with PSU. They're the most underachieving program of the last 20 years when you look at how much money they bring in, but they're a solid 8-10 win team most seasons. Colorado has been fucking dog shit since Gary Barnett left.

jlee likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, when it came time to actually bet there weren't a lot of numbers I was in love with. I did hit South Alabama and Middle Tennessee getting tons of points, but both were parts of parlays that bombed out. Colorado State hurt, too. Lots of second half bed-shitting this week, as far as the point spreads go.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm sure PSU fans will love meaningful OOC games against Idaho and the like instead of playing Pitt.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted