1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Georgia State's program was built by a 70-year-old phony who couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. It's no wonder their current team sucks.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can't imagine why you'd think that.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Another story noting the decline in student attendance at football games:

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/articles/at-college-football-games-student-sections-likely-to-have-empty-seats-1409188244

I wouldn't be surprised, if the numbers were collectible, that student attendance also has gone down at high school games, too. And that might not have much to do with football. With texting and other, quicker means of communication, who needs to go to the game to find out where the parties are later?

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

With every game on TV (or at least streamed online somewhere), obnoxious drunks in the stands, rising costs and the fact that the TV experience is way better now on a flat screen, I can't say I blame these kids. This is the first year in 10 I don't have my season tickets for Pitt and, as I look back at some of the mushmouths I sat around, plus the traffic hassle, I doubt I'll miss a big chunk of the experience.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I root for a dogshit team and still go to most of the games (I live an hour away). But it's mainly because my father, who lives three hours from me, buys the tickets. And I'm pretty sure he buys them for the following reasons:

- Inertia
    - Having established seats if they somehow get good again
    - It's a guaranteed way to see his grandchildren six extra times a year

6. JackReacher

I try to go to one or two college games a year. I prefer that atmosphere to the NFL, and it's not even close. Plus, it's not an all-day affair of either sitting in traffic or the stadium, like the NFL is.

For me to go to another NFL game, it has to be a really sweet deal. Primo seats. Great parking. Oh, and free.

Love me some college football, though. I saw Big Circus's dogshit team last year in his home stadium. Great stadium, by the way. Very underrated. Going down to VT in a couple weeks. Very excited for that.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Sonner, the Wahoos do very little right with regard to football. But if there's one thing even Craig Littlepage and John Oliver can't fuck up, it's pretty buildings.

8. JackReacher

Yeah. I really dig that stadium. That's about it, though. Well, I did enjoy the game I attended there last year. :)

9. sportbook

sportbook Member

Maybe I'll be wrong but I think this could be higher scoring than many think. I think both teams will run the ball effectively. While young, LSU has some very good offensive skill and one of the best offensive lines in the country. Wisconsin's running game should be excellent as well.

10. sportbook

sportbook Member

Why is Bill Curry a phony?

11. Steak Snabler

Maybe "phony" was the wrong word. He seems to genuinely believe the things he says. "Clueless" is probably more accurate.

Google "Bill Curry One Moment in Time" and you'll see what I mean.

12. Steak Snabler

Navy's new "summer white" helmets. Man, I love these.

[​IMG]

Players will also wear their rank (first class midshipman and so on) on their shoulder:

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/504993698032410625/photo/1

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted