1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

In a rare Sunday game (at least for Baylor), former Southwest Conference opponents SMU and Baylor play at the Bears' new on-campus stadium. A best-of-the-week? I dunno, but it'll be fun to see the new stadium.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You left off the opener Wednesday! Abilene Christian (+4) at Georgia State...

I love UCF (-2) over Penn State in Dublin. Also worth a shot, Navy (+17) at home against Ohio State and UMASS (+17) at home against BC.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The ACC could be dealt a fatal blow if Clemson and Fla. State both lose Saturday. The Big 10 needs Wisconsin to beat LSU. And if Bama falls to WV, well then...

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oklahoma State brings back only a few starters, or real depth.

Winston might throw for 600 yards.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Miami will show up against Louisville this time around.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Was out in Las Vegas a few weeks ago and put in some Week 1 parlays as well as one future that I hope pays for the parlays - UCLA on the OVER to win 9.5.

I have a few 3 and 4-teamers for this weekend.

I also have a $20 8-teamer working for Week 1 (for the entertainment value). $20 will pay $2,860 if it hits. On Thursday, if Tulsa (-4.5) covers against Tulane and Wazzu covers (-8.5) vs. Rutgers, I will be a wreck on Saturday for the remaining six games. I have a MAC game (Kent -3 vs Ohio U) along with some other notable games... Georgia -8, LSU -5 and Central Florida -1. I'm very anti-Big Ten in these opening weeks. SEC schools (and, for that matter, teams like UCF) practice in swampy conditions in August while Big Ten teams get cooler practices. I think that matters with speed and stamina.

I cringe that I'm taking Colorado to cover anything but I found a place where the line was -2.5 against Colorado State.

Generally, I try to go against first-year coaches because those first two games are often offensive quagmires with a new system. However, I'm taking Washington (with a new coach) -15 at Hawaii as Norm Chow is such a tire fire. Also, I shy away from taking underdogs in Week 1 unless they have an experienced QB against a favorite with few returning starters or a new QB or a new coach. I'd rather lay the number on favorites and avoid games where I don't like the favorite.

That UCLA-Virginia game can be tempting at -20.5 but I didn't find any Vegas books where it was lower than -21.5. Players loading up heavy on Bruins.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

8. Songbird

UCF lost its stud QB and 3 starting O-linemen.

They'll struggle to score against Penn State, but Penn State will struggle even more because UCF gets everyone back from a great defense.

Take the under.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

LSU-Wisconsin is in a dome and UCF is playing in Ireland. Not sure heat and humidity will be factors there.
    I'm also leery of LSU, and that's as a fan. This seems to be shaping up as one of those 8-4 seasons with one or two patented Les Miles gut-wrenchers against Arkansas and Kentucky, a blowout loss to Alabama, and a Peach Bowl bid at the end. Two quarterbacks playing, a lot of talent gone to the NFL like it does every few years, and a deeper than average SEC West are all going to cause problems.
    Pencil them in for big things in 2016 -- assuming some drunken coonass doesn't finally snap and take a shot at Miles during an alumni group luncheon -- but I'm not sure I'm seeing it this year.

10. Songbird

Kid's got a sense of humor.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/88294/clint-tricketts-first-kiss-was-sabans-daughter?ex_cid=espnsoc

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Trickett's dad is a lunatic, so that doesn't surprise me.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I agree with whoever said LSU-Wisconsin would be an ugly slugfest. Whole lotta replacements for each offense, and a Wisconsin QB who probably should be replaced.

Actually, as it turns out, Stave might be holding a clipboard in the opener: http://badgerofhonor.com/2014/08/25/melvin-gordon-spill-beans-wisconsin-badgers-quarterback-situation/

Draft saved Draft deleted