1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 1 running thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Aug 30, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well it is the beginning of the week, so....

--As far as Thursday, I think Boise will beat Oregon pretty solidly. South Carolina-N.C. State is one of those games that will show which team has the best shot at a No. 5 conference bowl tie-in and which one will be ecstatic with 7-5. And I wouldn't be shocked it North Dakota State beats Iowa State.
    --I think Michigan and Notre Dame beat Western Michigan and overrated Nevada pretty solidly.
    --I think Georgia edges Oklahoma State and Oklahoma crushes BYU
    --No strong feeling on Bama-Va. Tech.
    --With a lot of changes on both teams, Rutgers-Cincy could be pretty darned ragged for a name matchup.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I miss the days when someone would start the week one CFB/NFL thread on Memorial Day.

And by that I mean I don't miss them at all.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One of the national writers said this already (I can't remember who, or I'd credit him), but Oregon's uniforms on Boise State's blue turf has the potential to cause seizures ...

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Georgia? Without Stafford and Moreno? At Oklahoma State with an entire offensive crew coming back? That Georgia?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm just not totally sold on Oklahoma State. And Georgia under Richt is a pretty safe bet; I think they can control the pace of the game.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Xan doubting Georgia ... this seems familiar for some reason, but I can't quite put my finger on it ...

Okie State will actually have to play defense to beat Georgia. They can do it, but I don't think it's a cinch.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think Va. Tech clips Bama. Distractions, new line, young QB. Too much.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Distractions? I know you're close to Eufaula, TBF, but the Upshaw arrest was a one-day story at best.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You're probably right on Notre Dame.

But I wouldn't discount Western too much. Lot of question marks and uncertainty on Michigan. And the Broncos have a pretty darn good QB in Tim Hiller, who has had some talk of a first or second round NFL draft pick.

10. I think Boise will win. Would be nice to see them trounce Oregon
    I think Western covers the spread against Michigan.
    As Xan, noted, Nevada's gonna score.. a lot.. ND needs to win big to convince me they don't suck.
    I think Georgia gets out-and-out trounced. Course that's why I gave OK St. my preseason No. 1 vote.

I really, really, really like Va. Tech to beat the hell out of 'Bama. by hell, I mean 10-0 or 17-3.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think West By God has little to worry about Saturday.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Do the same thing I do when the Carolina Panthers don those ridiculous Smurf jerseys: Ray-Bans. And don't take them off for any reason.

-----

Chickens-NCSU could be really interesting. Not sure either team has much defense ... if nothing else, the casual fan might have a chance of enjoying this one. Wolfpack has a chance to surprise and be a little - a little - better than Dools thinks if only because there's no serious beast in the league.

-Frank Beamer will probably find a way to block a punt or two, defend some and win 10 games as usual.
    -Jim Grobe will probably continue to make Wake Forest relevant.
    -Chapel Hill has the chance to stuff everyone, but how are they going to score with that offense?
    But who else really looms as a serious threat in the ACC?

Draft saved Draft deleted