1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Thread: Warren Moon edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 30, 2008.

1. 1994 PSU at Illinois.

1987 Fiesta Bowl PSU v. Miami

1993 Miami at WVU: Mountianeers end years of frustration and beat the 'Canes.

1994 Marshall Univeristy at OSU.. The Herd almost. Almost pulls it off.

1983 Boston College v. Miami

1989 Alabama at PSU

1988 Syracuse at WVU. Caps Mountie's first unbeaten season

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Agreed. As a Syracuse alum I... well, there's no one to dislike now that Miami and Boston College have bailed on the Big East. Note I said "dislike." I care more about liking my teams than disliking someone else's. Life's too short for that.

But it doesn't break my heart when Ohio State, Miami, Notre Dame and BC lose.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

[Raising hand like a kid who knows the answer in class for the first time]

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Here's a sad not from Gainesville.

Schad is reporting that fifth-year senior Florida tight end Cornelius Ingram, who could have been a second-round pick last year, has a serious knee injury and could miss the season. That would suck for him and the Gators. Injuries and off-the-field casualties are adding up down there...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3523955

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Wow. Feel bad for Ingram. Can't say I feel bad for the Gators, but I feel bad for Ingram.

6. times38

times38 Member

There will never be another title game featuring two teams anywhere near as dominant, or with anywhere near that amount of sheer talent. You can book that.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I pulled the tabs off my VHS of that Texas-USC game as soon as it was over. Great game, big plays, big tradition, perfect location, and it was Keith Jackson's final game. Loved it.
    And in response to the "hate" column, here are a few of the things I love about college football.
    The rivalries that go back to the Civil War (I'm not talking about in time, I'm talking about the animosity.
    Every weekend counts.
    Figuring out the BCS implications for your team to determine a rooting interest in a Thursday night MAC game on ESPN2.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Leonard's Losers (RIP)
    The Lambert Trophy - which is STILL awarded even after the advent of the Big East.
    Neutral site games between HBCUs that turn into a three-day reunion/festival
    Scramble bands

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pitt at WVU last year might not be the greatest game I have ever seen, but it has its own special place for a Ho Lee Sheeet Game. It was just replayed on some channel, and I Tivoed it. It still shocks me to this day.

To say the refs (or at least one) was tanking it for WVU to play in the BCS Title Game is an understatement.

It was just surreal watching that unfold.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dating myself here, but the Harvard-Yale 29-29 tie in 1968 was pretty good. Both undefeated, Harvard ties it with 16 points in last 42 seconds. Yeah, it was Harvard-Yale. A thrill's a thrill.
    Besides, it generated a Hall of Fame headline from the "Crimson." Harvard beats Yale 29-29.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I remember when Mississippi State went out to the Pacific Northwest and won at Husky Stadium, beating Moon and UDub prior to the team's Rose Bowl appearance.

I always told people "we beat the Rose Bowl champs!"

1977, I think it was.
    State went 5-6 that year, and was later forced to forfeit all the wins due to an ineligible player.

12. wheateater

wheateater Member

No love for Boise St./Oklahoma? That is, bar none, the most spectacular sporting event that I have seen in person.

Draft saved Draft deleted