1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football stadiums

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Jun 30, 2008.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Someone mentioned tearing down Stamford Stadium in the UGA thread. It got me thinking -- you almost never hear of a college tearing down a stadium, a la the NFL. Instead they just renovate.

Are there any colleges out there contemplating starting from scratch to build some mega-million, bells-and-whistles, superbox-laden version of the Jerry Jones spaceship?

Or will everyone just keep adding on? State budgets are tight, but if it's a money thing I can see them bleeding the usual big-bucks alumni and getting revenue bonds to finance the thing.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Minnesota is building a new stadium, aren't they? They are one of the few who tore down their on-campus stadium, I think it went down in the 80s.

I doubt, however, you'll see anything like the bells and whistles seen in a NFL stadium.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Usually universities expand and upgrade existing facilities but didn't Rutgers build their stadium from scratch or was that a renovation too?

UConn built a new stadium.

Minnesota is building a new stadium.

4. Wasn't Cal planning a new stadium, before the tree huggers got the plans thwarted?

Does Miami count? Didn't they used to play at the Orange Bowl?

5. Armchair_QB

They're moving to Dolphins Stadium so, no.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A little tougher to do in college, I suppose.

The idea is to play on campus, so that limits your land availability.

And you can't just tear the old one down to make room for the new one, 'cause the team needs a place to play, preferably with 90,000+ seats (and most college towns don't have extra stadiums sitting around (like RFK).

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rutgers was a (considerable) renovation.

UConn's new. Not an overwhelming wonder of the modern world, but servicable.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Stanford's was new, right?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rutgers has undergone at least two renovatons with another expansion planned.
    UConn did not build its own stadium. It is not on campus. The State built the stadium in East Hartford, a scaled down version of an original plan that they hoped would lure the Patriots from Foxborough before the new stadium was built there.

10. Armchair_QB

Yeah I guess it was. They built on the same site as the old one.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . laughable, in retrospect, since the floating lump who owns the Pats only used Hartford as a lever to shake down the locals.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The Citadel has torn down its stadium in stages and rebuilt on the same plot of land. I'm not sure if it's finished yet, but it's taken forever.

The University of Richmond has plans to build a new stadium on-campus to replace a city-owned one close to downtown.

Both of the old stadia require(d) a tetanus booster upon entry.

Central Florida opened up a new stadium last year, but it lacks bells and whistles.

Louisville's stadium is a new one as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted