1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football running thread -- Week 3 -- Revenge of Scott Bentley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hello from London. It's a bit drippy outside, so I took refuge in an Internet cafe for a little bit.

Glad that my Michigan pick came through, though I had Ohio State beating SC. Didn't get to see the game. I would love to see SC's winning drive.

GA Tech @ Miami (thurs) ... Tech 28-10
    Tenn @ 1. Florida ............. Florida 41-30
    Texas Tech @ 2. Texas...... Texas 63-21
    3. USC @ Washington......... Is this the trap game? Is this the '09 version of Oregon State and Stanford? No. USC 35-0.
    Tulsa @ 12. Oklahoma OU.... Tulsa 55-28
    19. Nebraska @ 13. Virginia Tech.....Isn't this a rematch of a bowl game last year? Virginia Tech 19-13.
    18. Utah @ Oregon.....Oregon 42-14
    Mich. St. @ Notre Dame.......Michigan State 17-14, OT.

The cruise was pretty fun, though I'm still a bit wobbly. Stayed in Banbury last night, and will tonight. Neat little town. Found a billiards hall and blasted Oasis on the jukebox, which got a thumb's up from a player in the corner.

Today in London putzing around. Tomorrow I'm headed to Amsterdam for 3 days, and on the final night I'm going to an Ajax soccer game. Then I fly into Reykjavik for a night. Doubt I'll get to see any college games Saturday.

So, is Michigan quasi-legit? Was it a good game?

And, for anyone who watched the SC win, what's one adjective to define Barkley?

OK, time for my London Calling to continue.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oh, for betting purposes, I'd take Texas, Tulsa and Baylor.

UConn seems to have a pretty good defense, but they're going to get whacked in Waco.

Whacked in Waco ... good book title.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Did I read where UConn's starting QB is out against Baylor? Suddenly, I like the -10 a bit more. Or the -14 or whatever it'll end up.

4. I think that was the David Koresch story.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We gotta watch GT again on a Thursday night?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course... see, real teams play on Saturday; GT plays on Thursday. You getting this yet?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Xan -- Nebraska played Clemson in the Gator last year. Tech beat the Huskers in Lincoln in September last year.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Michigan is quasi-legit because Iowa, Northwestern, Ohio State, Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin and Indiana can't handle mid-majors. Meanwhile, Illinois got pummeled by Missouri and Michigan is done with their two hardest non-conference opponents: Western and Notre Dame. Their next two non-conference games are Eastern Michigan and Delaware State.

Penn State and Ohio State are sure-fire losses, but every other game from there is a tossup.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say PSU & OSU are surefire losses for Michigan due to the fact both games are in Ann Arbor. They could legitimately run the table from here on out.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

62-31 Texas?

Lay off the pints, my good man.

Twill be a good bit closer than that.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

He is indeed out for two weeks. Don't forget if the receivers catch just a couple of very catchable balls, we are talking about the Huskies upset of a Top-20 team. I can see the doggies hanging around within 10 points in the 4th quarter. Baylor might pull away/put up a late score at the end, but I think it could be close.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I definitely agree about OSU. It's in Ann Arbor and Pryor still hasn't seemed to have figured out the whole drop-back passer thing. Forcier seems to have figured out the RichRod spread after two weeks of live play and they could definitely be a scary team by mid-November. The biggest thing Michigan needs to get under control is its pass rush. If they don't OSU has some pretty solid receivers all the way down the depth chart, plus Jake Balllard.
    Penn State, I have no idea because they've played two cupcakes. I think the receivers being gone is a non-issue. When Robinson was there, those guys were effective. Then Morelli took that offense back to the dark ages before Clark brought it back to life in 08.

Draft saved Draft deleted