1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Preview Swap 2007 - the return

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jim_Carty, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Interested in seeing how other papers solve that tricky cover issue?

Wondering how the little guys stack up vs. the big guys?

Or, perhaps most importantly, looking for ideas to rip off for your 2008 football season preview issue?

... then consider yourself invited to "College Football Preview Swap 2007 - the return". A year ago, we had about a dozen sign up and perhaps 10 actually come through with swap materials, ranging from Wyoming to Arkansas to Alabama to Pennsylvania and in size from under 20,000 circ. to over 200,000.

Here's how it will work:

• If you're interested, you agree to send me 16 copies of your college football preview section
    • In return, you will eventually receive a package from me containing preview sections from (hopefully) 14 other papers, or as many as we receive.
    • DO NOT be afraid of participating because you think you're too small, too understaffed or just plain bad. You might be wrong, and even if you're not, we all felt that way at some point.
    • Please don't ask for a package if you don't have a section to swap.
    • Please do include, with your package, your name, title and return address (believe it or not, this was uncommon last year)
    • Don't worry about return postage, it's on me (or, perhaps more correctly, The Ann Arbor News)

I'd like to make a small request to a few bigger papers in SEC land to get involved. We realize you probably won't learn much from a bunch of smaller papers, but they would love to see your sections. If we had one clear hole last year, it was that the AJC was probably the only larger paper to participate (although props to Lynn Hoppes, who offered to send his section to anyone who requested via e-mail).

Feel free to sign up on this thread or by sending me e-mail at jcarty@aa-news.com. I'll keep a running tab of how many spots are open and who has signed up.

Jim Carty
    Sports Columnist, The Ann Arbor News

PS: Moddy, if you'd tack this at the top, I'd be appreciative.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He will send them, but the key word is eventually. It took him so long to send me the Bo Schembechler commemorative section that by the time I got it, Shemy had actually stopped talking. ;D

3. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Alabama comes in early, with the Tuscaloosa News and the Florence (AL) TimesDaily committing first.

And I do feel bad about the delay for that Bo section, Slappy.

But, you know, it's not like it was going to need updating.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tis true.. and you knew you were going to get the needle for it one day. This just happened to set up nicely with a turnover on your own 1. :D

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Count Harrisburg in, Jim.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why isn't there one of these for high school football preview sections?

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You can count on our high school section being part of what I send ... I would hope everyone else does the same.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Quick question: Are critiques done, or is this strictly for sharing?

10. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Strictly for sharing, although if you want one man's opinion, I'd be happy to give it to you.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Our college/HS preview sections are one and the same.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He hasn't listed your paper yet, SC. Maybe you should send him a PM.

Draft saved Draft deleted