1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football preview magazines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Chase, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

Grew up on Sporting News and Street and Smith's. Still buy Sporting News. Miss Street and Smith's. Phil Steele's mag is chock full of info. Probably too much for me. Sometimes I need a road map to get through it. But the info is there if you have time to translate the lingo.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

As my freelance income can attest to, the sporting news preview no longer exists.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Definitely two different approaches. The Phil Steele approach of jam-packing info/stats or the old Athlon ("8 Feature Stories in the Big 8") approach, where Oklahoma and Iowa State sound like they are on equal footing. In the pre-Interweb era, I loved the Athlon approach until I was 11...and really was into point-spreads. Then it was the College & Pro Football Weekly annuals as I *loved* the college football magazine that would always come out in mid-July.

For now, I am way into the Phil Steele and have been for a decade. Reading his magazine makes me feel so prepared for CFB season.

Draft saved Draft deleted