1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football preview magazines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Chase, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

It's that time of year again and I'll be looking to buy my annual college football preview magazine. Was just wondering which ones SportsJournalists.com would recommend. I bought the Sporting News one last season and it was pretty solid.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I always used to go with Sporting News. Alas.

I'd say Phil Steele if you want something comprehensive and care about the predictions at all.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Phil Steele is comprehensive and deep if you can get past his shorthand. He abbreviates absolutely everything in the interest of stuffing the most possible information into his pages.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I like the Sporting News and Lindy's, which does separate in-depth editions for each major conference/region. If you follow a team outside the geographical region where you live (Ohio State fan stuck in California), you can order them via mail or online.

The press deadlines for these things are so darn early that it takes a little luster off them. Back in the pre-internet days, I devoured these things. Now, there is soooo much information available out there.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I like the ones that also provide D-II and D-III previews, along with good high school A-A lists. Can't recall exactly which mags do the best at those.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lindy's national preview is pretty solid.

Has all the less divisions and breaks things down on the prep scene.

Full disclosure: I get money from Lindy, so I might be biased.

7. writingump

writingump Member

Like Jay, I also derive Lindy's income, so I might have a biased opinion. I like their national preview and Phil Steele's as well. But all of it becomes dated when things happen, like Georgia throwing their best running back off the team.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Lindy's and Phil...only two I touch for fantasy football list preparing.
    After that, I double check with online sources.
    Yes, all I care about is my fantasy team...and the Spartys. Fuck off! :p

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Lindy's has some solid stuff this season, solid D-2 and D-3 material as well. And no, I don't do any work for Lindy. :)

10. Simon

Simon Active Member

Honestly, I think the best preview magazine is online and free.

presnapread.com

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Phil's is fine, if you can get past the endless "God, I love me" preening.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This will be my third year to buy - buy! - a Phil Steele, and it truly is something I cannot live without at my desk during the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted