1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football posteason: Better/Worse since the BCS?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I say I miss Jan. 1, I only miss it if there's no playoff system possible. A playoff system is the real solution.

It still mystifies me than money-grubbing school presidents don't understand they could probably make more a lot more money off the TV/sponsorship rights from a 16-team playoff than they ever can off these garbage-ass bowls.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The only problem with the old system was bowls lining up teams in October and watching in horror as they crapped the bed down the stretch.
    It's technically more "fair" now but there are still too many backroom deals once you get past the top four teams.
    Things I'd cut:
    multiple games featuring the same conferences (Do we need 3 Big 10 v. SEC games in Florida on New Years?)
    Multiple games at bowl sites. (Nothing says your bowl is not important more than seeing the same group that welcomed you, welcoming the next game's opponent as you are boarding your plane).

I'd also mandate no more than three non-conference games for conferences with 10 or more members. Eight bowl teams were more than one game under .500 in conference but qualified because they went at least 3-1 in non-conference games.

That's 10 games cut and I don't know if anyone would miss them.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Arkansas would still be in the Cotton Bowl as SWC champions in the old system. Since the MWC was calved from the old WAC, Boise would probably be in the Holiday Bowl.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Are you crazy? The Yankees have Jeter. He'll skate circles around Danny Briere.

Although Zac Rinaldo would beat the ever-lasting piss out of Joba.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For the poster who longs for the days when the Orange Bowl produced tremendous games year after year:

Jan. 2, 1998: Nebraska 42, Tennessee 17
    Dec. 31, 1996 Nebraska 41, Virginia Tech 21
    Jan. 1, 1993 Florida State 27, Nebraska 14
    Jan. 1, 1992 Miami, Fla. 22, Nebraska 0
    Jan. 1, 1990 Notre Dame 21, Colorado 6
    Jan. 2, 1989 Miami, Fla. 23, Nebraska 3
    Jan. 1, 1987 Oklahoma 42, Arkansas 8
    Jan. 1, 1986 Oklahoma 25, Penn State 10
    Jan. 1, 1985 Washington 28, Oklahoma 17
    Jan. 1, 1980 Oklahoma 24, Florida State 7
    Jan. 2, 1978 Arkansas 31, Oklahoma 0
    Jan. 1, 1977 Ohio State 27, Colorado 10
    Jan. 1, 1976 Oklahoma 14, Michigan 6
    Jan. 1, 1973 Nebraska 40, Notre Dame 6
    Jan. 1, 1972 Nebraska 38, Alabama 6

From the time many of you began watching to the beginning of the BCS, it produced a good game about 40-45 percent of the time.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Anyone can produce 15 results in 40 years to refute someone's argument.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I was at the 1987 blowout between Oklahoma and Arkansas. Count me among those who used to love the New Year's Day bowl extravaganza, especially the Orange Bowl at night and it was so cool to actually be at that game, even if it was no contest. (Spencer Tillman ran all the place that night.)

Up top someone mentioned how great it must be to be on a bowl committee. Not sure if this story was posted or discussed here but it pretty much confirms that it must be one of the sweetest gigs anywhere.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2011-12-15/news/bcs-college-football-bowl-scam/

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Oklahoma-Arkansas game was the one with the Bosworth shirt

National
    Communists
    Against
    Athletes

I loved that game because OU knew it couldn't win the title and was without its best player, but was intent on making a statement in that game, which it did.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Boz was also rocking an orange Vinny Testaverde jersey on the sidelines that night.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Only Barry Switzer would let a suspended player go out as a captain for the coin toss.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It wasn't 15 results in 40 years.

It was 15 results in 26 years --- my list stopped with the beginning of the BCS after 1997.

And at least I provided something, not just some childhood memory of a good game or two that stuck with me forever and skewed my thinking.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Of those Orange Bowl results listed, they may have been lopsided but were between very good teams -- for example:

Jan. 2, 1998 No. 2 Nebraska 42, No. 3 Tennessee 17
    Jan. 1, 1993 No. 3 Florida State 27, No. 11 Nebraska 14
    Jan. 1, 1992 No. 1 Miami, Fla. 22, No. 11 Nebraska 0
    Jan. 2, 1989 No. 2 Miami, Fla. 23, No. 6 Nebraska 3
    Jan. 1, 1986 No. 3 Oklahoma 25, No. 1 Penn State 10
    Jan. 1, 1985 No. 4 Washington 28, No. 2 Oklahoma 17
    Jan. 1, 1980 No. 5 Oklahoma 24, No. 4 Florida State 7
    Jan. 2, 1978 No. 6 Arkansas 31, No. 2 Oklahoma 0
    Jan. 1, 1976 No. 3 Oklahoma 14, No. 5 Michigan 6
    Jan. 1, 1972 No. 1 Nebraska 38, No. 2 Alabama 6

Draft saved Draft deleted