1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Playoff Rankings Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't say that about USC!

I mean, the Citadel and South Dakota and Western Carolina and UT Mar'in etc etc etc is always a great way to gauge the strength of one's schedule.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

All the wiseguy money is on Louisville, by the way. Lots and lots of full-limit wagers coming in from the big-hitters. I'm suddenly intrigued.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What, against FSU? It can't be for a playoff spot. They lost to a Mike London team in a game where they called for a fair catch on a kickoff return.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry. For the game tomorrow.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ironic that Michael Dyer may play a part in who will be National Champion and if Auburn
    and Alabama have a shot.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is the second big reference to the game. Can't remember which game I was watching Saturday but they hyped up Petrino for the way his teams have played against the bigshots. Wish I could be more succinct but I found it odd that they spent so much breath on a game that appears, at first blush, to be a blowout.

But then you look at the numbers: Louisville hasn't given up more than 23 in a game (twice). They don't score a ton either but they play good defense.

Still, I can't for the life of me imagine Florida State not winning 50-14.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Petrino was 5-7 against LSU, Alabama and Auburn when he was at Arkansas, and a lot of those losses were blowouts.

2008 vs. Alabama (L, 49-14)
    2008 at Auburn (W, 25-22)
    2008 vs. LSU (W, 31-30)
    2009 at Alabama (L, 35-7)
    2009 Auburn (W, 44-23)
    2009 at LSU (L, 33-30)
    2010 vs. Alabama (L, 24-20)
    2010 at Auburn (L, 65-43)
    2010 vs. LSU (W, 31-23)
    2011 at Alabama (L, 38-14)
    2011 Auburn (W, 38-14)
    2011 at LSU (L, 41-17)

So yeah, I'm not buying the "Big Game Bob" hype either.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yes, the SEC hypocrisy remains a beautiful thing.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Also ironic that Dyer, who didn't want to play for Petrino at Arkansas and ends up at Louisville because his uncle played with Charlie Strong in college is now being coached by Petrino.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The College Football Playoff Map:

[​IMG]

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/10/28/7087183/one-map-that-explains-the-college-football-playoff

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'll go a step further.

As a Big Ten fanboi, I would have absolutely no problem if THREE of the four teams turn out to be from the SEC. I believe that's how much better the conference is ... right now. And the idealistic goal IS to have the best four teams in this, right?

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm with you ... we want the four best teams, no matter what conference they're from. And unless Michigan State wins out and some other teams above them lose, that top four won't include the Big 10. This year.

I'll still watch the Rose Bowl. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted