1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Playoff Rankings Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 27, 2014.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not really. They're great institutions filled with incredible kids, and have tons of tradition ... but like the rest of the "group of 5," will never be considered for the playoffs.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Except that if Navy was 11-0 this year they'd have beaten Ohio State and Notre Dame among others, so they'd be in the mix for sure.

3. Steak Snabler

Maybe only I care about this, but it's become a pet peeve of mine ...

For there to be a Scooby Wright III, doesn't there have to be a Scooby Wright Jr. and Scooby Wright Sr.? According to Wright's Arizona bio, his father is Phillip Anthony Wright Jr.

The Arizona linebacker got the nickname from his father when he was a kid. Thus he's the first Scooby, not the third.

Either use a suffix or a nickname, but not both.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. So I take it Scooby's real name is Phillip Anthony Wright III? Now, if he had Wright III on the back of his jersey as well, that's a major pet peeve of MINEThe suffix modifies the first name, not the last. He is Phillip III, not Wright III. And now you're telling me he's not even Scooby III! My head just exploded.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I would love to see the service academies relevant again. Army was a powerhouse until football players began to size themselves beyond recognition some time in the 1970s or so. Lots of football history there.

6. Steak Snabler

Interesting read on Marcus Mariota, who was overlooked largely because coaches don't like to take the time to recruit in Hawaii. His only two scholarship offers out of high school came from Oregon and Memphis, which had a GA from Hawaii on its staff.

http://www.wSportsJournalists.com/articles/why-no-one-wanted-marcus-mariota-1418327384

Draft saved Draft deleted