1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Playoff Rankings Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 27, 2014.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

ap basketball poll hasn't gone away.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Fair enough. The big difference with the NCAA Tournament is that the Selection Committee isn't charged with picking the best 64 . . . er . . . 65 . . . um . . . 68 teams in the country. Right from the start that process is inherently flawed.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think that the committee should operate like The Supreme Court.
    No advance notice in form of ranking, Just issue written decision on Dec 7
    and go dark.

One thing that's very clear now is that the proponents of college football
    playoff system have oversold the idea that we will have a true national
    champion as a result of new system.

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Wasn't Miami #5 when it beat Nebraska in the 1983 Orange Bowl ton win the National Championship?

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

This will go to eight teams very quickly once the schools see how much money these three games generate. I would love to get to 16, but I'm not holding my breath.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My best guess:

1. Mississippi State
    2. Florida State
    3. Auburn (maybe Alabama)
    4. TCU (maybe Michigan State or Oregon)

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Two SEC teams in the top four is going to go over huge. Big Ten especially is gonna love that.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As a Big Ten fanboi, I can honestly say that — if we're picking TODAY — the Big 10 has no team among the top four in the country.

The key words in that statement are "TODAY" and "top four."

Things can change in the next six weeks ... which is why this Oct. 28 Top 25 list from the Playoff Pickin' Committee is merely ESPN programming filler.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a fine opinion, but there is no paper case to be made that Alabama has done a damn thing more than Michigan State (or Notre Dame, or TCU, or Oregon). I suppose I could buy Auburn, but even that's pretty close and they should err on the side of broadening where possible.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I could not agree more. They're leaving a ton of money on the table, and the potential to generate the kind of revenue that March Madness does is very real.

The committee should not put out weekly rankings to be debated, shot at, speculated over week by week. They are just setting themselves up. If they were smart they would put out a watch list of the top ten or twelve or whatever and then let the games to come shape that.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

With all the SEC West games left to play, -plus Georgia-Auburn AND the conference title game, I think anyone who gets upset over the ratings tonight is just the kind of person who follows sports for the experience of being upset.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, Michigan State DID lose by 3 TDs on the road, which none of the others have done.

Auburn's win at Kansas State is probably the best road win for anyone in the country, except for maybe Arizona at Oregon.

I'd pick Auburn over Alabama, too. But who knows what the committee will do.

Draft saved Draft deleted