1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Playoff Rankings Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The first selection committee rankings are released tomorrow:

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/view-rankings

Should be an interesting run from here on.

Unless a lot changes new system is still not going to leave people feeling that
    there is a true National Champion.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

No idea why they're releasing rankings during the season. Seems stupid to me. Just wait until the very end of the season.

3. sportbook

sportbook Member

I agree. Nothing more than sparking discussion. It's likely to change every week.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's an improvement by a gazillion percent, so why don't we see how this turns out before we start redoing it? I don't want to hear the bitching about the need for more teams. There's never been a season with five teams having a legitimate claim as the best team in the country and there never will be.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the hope, doubtless a vain one, is that the committee rankings will eventually make the AP and coaches' polls obsolete.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Gee is probably right, but I thought there was also something to putting the committee on the record so they can't just pull shenanigans with the final bracket (a.k.a. the Mack Brown Clause).

7. sportbook

sportbook Member

There's about 10-12 teams this year that could be in the discussion. Do you see three or four teams that are head and shoulders about the rest?

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think trifecta's point is, by the end of the season, we'll be down to those 3 or 4 teams. He might be right this year.

9. amraeder

There's always a ton this time of year. We'll see what it looks like when the season's over.

10. sportbook

sportbook Member

Maybe so. I just have a tough time with some of these schools that have to get up to play 2 or 3 big games all season when these SEC West schools have to do it just about every week.

11. amraeder

I'm worried it'll turn in to the same lazy thinking of the other polls.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Archie realized what a shit show that this could turn into and
    decided to gracefully bow out.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/press-releases/archie-manning-to-take-leave-from-playoff-selection-committee

Draft saved Draft deleted