1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football or NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Pre BCS I would have said college.

But playoffs win out over the awful bowl system.

NFL.

2. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Thanks for taking this thread seriously.

A lot of people hate the BCS which is understanble considering, but I'm just curious to know what you really hate about it and what changes would you make if you were in charge?

I'm sure you probably answered this question a million times, and I apologize if that's the case.

3. Mizzougrad96

The NFL is as perfect a sport as we have in this country and when people don't like something, they actually sometimes change it. Too many preseason games, well, maybe we go to a 18-game schedule. Seems unfair that a 11-5 Packers or Giants team could have to travel in the first round of the playoffs to a 8-8 Rams team?, well maybe we'll look into that as well.

For someone who watches college football religiously, I hate the current Bowl system. At least the old way had tradition. The current way just sucks and it renders almost all of the bowls pointless. I loved it when there were 10 games on Jan. 1. As a kid growing up on the west coast, I loved waking up at 9 and football was already on and you would watch all day. The only sports day that compared was the first two days of the NCAA Tournament. Now, just about everything is on at night and it sucks.

A 16-team or even an 8-team NCAA football playoff could be bigger than the Super Bowl and it really pisses me off that we don't seem to be getting closer to that.

4. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

I agree with pretty much everything Mizzou wrote above. In terms of structure, the NFL is clearly superior to college football. With that said, if we're just talking gameday atmosphere, it's not even close. College football owns the NFL. The marching bands. The traditions. The bragging rights over your rival for an entire year.

I watch NFL on Sundays, but if I need to mow the yard or run some errands over the weekend, I sacrifice the NFL. I do nothing but watch college football on Saturdays in the fall.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I enjoy both, but I don't like the way the fans in college football are emotionally invested in what seems to be a much more destructive way than NFL fans. For the most part, pro fans understand that this is an entertaining diversion. College fans think that every Saturday serves to either validate or repudiate one of the biggest decisions they made in their lives, and that gives college football, and more specifically die-hard fans, an edge that makes me very uncomfortable.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would rather go to a college game in person and watch the pros on TV and follow it during the week as a sport, if that makes sense. Also, it's a much more rewarding professional experience to cover the NFL than college ball, at least I found it so.

7. Dick Whitman

I agree with this sentence whole-heartedly. I enjoy dealing with grown men. I'm much more comfortable with it. And I enjoy following free agency and the trade market more than recruiting.

8. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Dick, maybe we go to different stadiums. However, the only times I've literally feared for my safety, were visits to NFL stadiums. Not wearing any colors, not supporting either team.....just going to games. Plenty o' *sshats at college games, or maybe it's just the addition of alcohol at NFL games, but I don't consider NFL fans to be any less emotionally invested.

9. Dick Whitman

That's fair. But I think it's an excuse for drunk middle-aged men to act out their aggression. That's not healthy, either, of course.

I think that college fans base their self-esteem on the football team. And it bothers me that they rationalize the way programs are run. Exhibit A: The University of Michigan.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Tough one to answer, since I simply love football. All levels, from high school on up. The sport is almost an addiction for me. Sad, but true ;D

Having said that, I put the college game a bit ahead. It's cheesy, but I love the pageantry & tradition of the college game. I just like the "feel" of a college stadium. I actually enjoy the relative lunacy of the very folks who base their personal self-esteem on the performance of "their" team. I enjoy the variety of offensive and defensive schemes. I enjoy the nutballs who tend to become college head coaches. I like the....I guess "imperfection" from the quality of play....of the college game.

Would a playoff be nice? Maybe....but I'm not as sold as some folks. IMO, it's still the best regular season of any sport we have in this country. That means a lot to me.

I love the NFL playoffs....but from September to December, I prefer the college game.

11. Mizzougrad96

I'd rather go to a college game than a NFL game. That's not even close.

Draft saved Draft deleted