1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No wonder it's the worst of the service academies and has been for years.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Is there another Army we need to distinguish West Point from?

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Salvation
    Swiss
    Hammer

4. Steak Snabler

5. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Even as an avowed Buckeye fanboi, I found Saban's performance today pretty........ pathetic? Let's see....

* Team was "worn down" at the end of the season, from all the no huddle they used. Huh. Had 4 weeks off & didn't seem to bother tOSU or Oregon....

* Team chemistry before Ohio State game was affected by some underclassmen's NFL draft evaluation. Oh...and they "ran out of bounds" to keep from getting hurt. Can't decided if this an improvement over LAST years "reason", which essentially that they were too bored to play Oklahoma.

* Having to play arch rival & a conference championship game back to back, is a challenge. So....no one else does that??

Having said all that, they are going to eviscerate Wisco, in the opener....

6. Steak Snabler

At least he didn't duck the Confederate flag question like Mullen did.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In football, yes. I think our non-stop Middle Eastern wars have definitely hurt recruiting, as USMA grads have a much higher probability of combat-related death and maiming than grads of the USNA or AFA. And I think in terms of academics/physical requirements/summer commitments, it's by far the toughest of our three military academies.

And Layman, you are right. Somehow Ohio State managed to survive the challenge of playing Michigan and a conference championship in the two games before the playoffs, and using its third-string QB ... Didn't Oregon and Florida State play their rivalry games and a conference championship too?

God, the SEC is so full of itself. It is amazing an SEC team can survive the grind of skipping five conference opponents, and three or four OOC patsies at home, and still be upright come December.

8. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Don't want to venture TOO far down the SEC hubris trail (we've got plenty of time for that....), I'm really just focused on Saban. I have a begrudging respect for the guy, but he's been a complete little b*tch the last couple of off seasons. You got beat. By a (by that point in the season) better football team. Man up, take your beating.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Doubt that.

Wisconsin has a good history of playing the SEC fairly tight. Slower than SEC teams, but can match physicality and burn clock.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Maybe....but I'm putting a whole lot of faith in a Bama team that's heard....for 9 months by then...about losing to a B1G team.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There also was his lobbying for rules to slow down offenses, which is incredibly disingenuous for this reason: Of his 11 losses at Alabama after his first season, eight have been to spread teams.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Florida has played in the SEC championship game 10 times the week after playing FSU. The Gators are 7-3 in those games.
    Stuff it Nick.

Draft saved Draft deleted