1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but it's significant. As has long been rumored, Florida State backup QB Jacob Coker has transferred to Alabama.

Coker is expected to graduate this summer, so he'd be able to play immediately this fall. He went to the same high school as AJ McCarron, and Jimbo Fisher is on record as saying Coker has as much arm talent as any QB he's ever seen:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/01/former_florida_state_qb_jacob.htm

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I would have thought a Coker would have been more at home with Miami.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

He's from Alabama. Was sort of ashame he got stuck behind EJ Manuel and then Jameis Winston. But maybe this is one of those moves that is good for everyone.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Max Wittek going the Coker route -- transferring from USC after graduating, can play immediately and has two seasons left.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/10374268/max-wittek-usc-trojans-transfer-graduating

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And this is pretty freaking awesome -- three players from Louisiana took their recruiting visits to UCLA last weekend. They took the same flight. According to a UCLA fan site, LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron took the same flight, had the seat next to one of the recruits, and checked in at the same hotel where UCLA recruits normally stay.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2014/1/31/5364808/is-an-lsu-coach-sabotaging-ucla-recruiting-efforts

The fanboi butthurt on the link only adds to the fun. We're UCLA! We would never do anything untoward because we are the smartest and most honorable human beings anywhere!

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Crootin'

The SEC does not fuck around.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

How does Saban get to the point where he has to rely on a transfer with a below 50% completion percentage at QB?

There is a good possibility when Bama plays West Virginia to start the season, both starting QB's will be FSU transfers.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nine Tennessee football players arrested at a weekend party, per TMZ:

http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/10/university-of-tennessee-nine-house-party-arrests-vols/

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Neato.

Who holds the college distance record in a game? Kevin Butler? I can't recall.

SEC Media Days this week. It's not the offseason anymore. It's preseason!

For some reason, I think it could be a Vols/Bama SEC title game. Am I nuts? The money's on Georgia, but UGA getting knocked flat on its ass by dead man walking Florida last year swore me off picking the Dawgs until they win something of substance.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can't imagine any sane person putting actual money on Georgia to win anything.

This is the week where football really starts coming to the surface. Such a dead week in the world of sports.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm all in on Tennessee this year. Last year they were so young and good but inconsistent.

Vols open with what should be a win (Bowling Green) and then welcome Oklahoma a week later.

Draft saved Draft deleted