1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Had Cale died in a whorehouse, there'd be five pages of posts on SJ.
    I am not the Pope and I rarely even come on this site compared to yesteryear.
    This board largely disagrees with just about anything I say.
    I will say, Hondo, that I don't as often see you posting on the sexy teacher stuff, etc.
    You are by all I've seen a driven person who likely occupies an honorable position in the profession.
    Petrie, I hardly ever demand newbies like you fetch me a beer and I won't do it here.
    You are entitled to your opinion and it certainly counts, regardless of how new to the board you are.
    Giving credence or much thought at all to the likes of Twitter, Instagram or the like is not something I do.
    Social media is not drawing the world closer, it's creating a 'look at me' mentality and more than half of the
    Internet is crap that makes people docile and less productive. (See fantasy football)
    I'm definitely not the Pope but that's my opinion.
    These things I've said are just things I've noticed.

2. jpetrie18

jpetrie18 Member

I've actually been here 5 years...second SN (tried to update info, messed up my account, made a new one). But that's neither here nor there.

Here's the thing: Giving credence to Twitter (especially), Instagram (OK, not so much) or the like is absolutely essential in our biz. Outside the biz perspective, they're how people, for better or worse, convey their often-unfiltered thoughts. They're how newsworthy people and non-newsworthy people express themselves. If you pay them no mind, you're missing the boat.

Johnny Manziel will generate more discussion than J.J. Cale because one is the most notable name in college football, and the other was a singer-songwriter whose heyday was before Manziel (or I, or many others here) were born. That's a fact...that doesn't mean we are a morally corrupt board.

EDIT: Or journalistically corrupt.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas A&M football player Polo Manukainiu killed in car crash overnight driving from Utah.

http://www.kase101.com/pages/AnneHudson.html?article=11526362

Redshirt freshman defensive end from Euless Trinity.

ADD: Trinity grad and Utah signee Gaius Vaenuku also killed in that car wreck.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Horrible news. Prayers to the families.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

O/U on how long a columnist twists himself into a pretzel to say this should be a wake-up call for Manziel?

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[coughcoughgeorgediazcoughcoughcough]

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Turns out there were four in the car and three died, including the junior-high brother of the lone survivor, Salesi Uhatafe, an incoming Utah freshman. All four were from Euless.

It appears driver fatigue was a factor.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Five in the car, actually. Other two were reported to have minor injuries.

9. jpetrie18

jpetrie18 Member

Driver fatigue, indeed. Manukainiu tweeted (per AP story): "22 hour drive back to Texas on no sleep. Oh my."

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Offseason? Preseason? Whatever the season this is worth watching...

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Not much going on there at all. And it's not even in focus.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Like anybody here cares about your "praise." Jeez, Blitz, you've had some of the most lame brained and irrational fanboy posts I've seen her. You are hardly the one to be sanctimoniously lecturing the rest of us.

Draft saved Draft deleted