1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I dunno, but let us never forget that according to Dan Hawkins, Gandhi, Martin Luther King and Thomas Edison did.
    And they sure weren't namby-pamby wusses afraid of running up the score.

Boise State coach defends his play-calling, says Gandhi wouldn't have taken a knee

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Wait for it...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd gets all kinds of mad that Bryce Love skipped Pac-12 media day because he is taking classes so he can graduate in December. He even invokes St. Tebow's name with this incredibly hot take:

"Put it this way: Try to envision Tim Tebow in his heyday skipping SEC Media Days of because, well, school. Right or wrong, that wouldn't have happened. The need to better himself, the conference and his school would have outstripped another summer school lecture."

Why Stanford star Bryce Love's absence from Pac-12 Media Day sets a dangerous precedent

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That may be the worst column I've ever read. I wondered if he was trying to be tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think so. This comes across as juvenile media whining.
    "You want to scream ..." Huh? A player conducting an interview by Skype and going to class makes me want to scream? No, it doesn't.
    Ripping on the Pac 12 for not being the SECessionist Conference is a fascinating take. Good for the Pac 12.

7. DanOregon

"dangerous?" Really? I give Dodd credit, he really goes far off the beaten path when forming his "hot takes."

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yeah. Skipping blessed Media Day is a dangerous step. Slippery slope to an era in which there are -- heaven forbid -- no more golf junkets disguised as press conferences.
    This is infringing on Fedora territory here.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nobody is as dumb as Larry Fedora. Nobody.

And Bryce Love actually caring about something other than media days? Oh, the horror. What is the media going to glorify? His shoe game (this actually happened in the ACC)?

Good for him. Dodd is way off here. And if that's the worst thing Larry Scott has to worry about for a while, he should consider himself fortunate.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. DanOregon

Oh, Larry Scott has plenty more to worry about. The Pac12 Network, growing revenue disparity with other conferences, sinking attendance, cruddy post-seasons in football AND basketball. And I have no doubt Love will have no shortage of opportunities to campaign for the Heisman. USC, Oregon and Notre Dame all before October.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Dodd’s column is awful. Awful!

But media days are not golf junkets, that’s for damn sure.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You're right. They are tedium junkets.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted