1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 11, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Luck probably was a large factor. I also think that the fact that the players were so much smaller was probably a large factor. I could not find a roster with the sizes of the players on that team but the Browns won the NFL Championship that year and the biggest player was 260. It seems that the 300+ linemen are most at risk.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    tapintoamerica likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the heaviest survivor was 225. Also - don't dismiss the idea that a lot of that stuff was some good ol' Texas exaggeration.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2 p.m. presser scheduled at Maryland.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

*All the way with a red-hot poker.*

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But the six survivors (or whatever the low amount was) inspired their teammates to the championship ... two years later.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They're also "voluntary." As in, volunteer to be there or they'll voluntarily yank your scholarship.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wish there was more written on a lot of this stuff - the off-season workouts, the voluntary workouts, players transferring or "retiring" or medically retiring, shortly before summer camp begins.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A book, "Meat on the Hoof", was written by a 60's era Texas lineman. The book described how the Longhorns would run players off who were recruiting mistakes. At that time the 60's NCAA teams were limited in the total number of scholarships they could give out, for example 120. Scholarships also did not renew annually but could be retained by an athlete for four years. But for every kid who got run off a scholarship the program could bring a replacement immediately. I think that was the thinking behind the Junction camp was to run off most of the roster to allow better players to be brought in. And all those new players could help win a championship.

The rules that limited the total number of annual scholarships were passed in part to prevent that. Now a team has 85 scholarships. If a coach runs 50 off he can only bring in a 25 players to replace them.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted