1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football offseason running thread: Nick Saban back on top (financially)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Couldn't find a college football offseason thread if we had one. But anyway, Nick Saban has agreed to a contract extension through the 2019 season, which will again make him the highest paid coach in the country at $5.3 million to start and $5.9 million by the end.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/03/alabama_coach_nick_saban_gets.html

And it's another thumb in the eye of all those who said he'd only stay a couple of years at Alabama (yeah, I know he's still got no buyout).

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Nick Saban back on top (financially)

He may have had some clause in there that mandated that he be the highest-paid coach in the country. From what I've heard, the original contract he signed at Bama almost prevented them from firing him without owing him every cent of the deal, which is unheard of at the college level.

I wonder if Saban wins another title if he'll get bored and want to give the NFL another shot or if he'll retire at Alabama.

If he's smart, he'll stay there forever.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

LITTLE DEBBIES FOR ALL!!!!!

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If Nick Saban had any friends, I'd suggest that he get one of them to negotiate the exact same clause in his own contract.

(Really, though, I wouldn't think you could insert a clause like that into a contract. For one thing, how would you verify? And for another, well, what if Nick Saban did have friends?)

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's worth it, and the figure kind of seems low considering how much that team means to the state, the school, the local economy. And he produces.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Amateur athletics.

Yep.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Here's my question: In the original contract, he could walk away the day after he signed and be due the entire amount of the contract.
    Does the rollover contain the same clause that pays him the full amount until the end of the contract, or if he walked away the day after the original contract expired, be due nothing? I mean, if they keep extending him and that clause rolls over, he could leave and pick up another (say) $42 million for doing nothing more than being that lovable guy he is...

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

14 titles and counting. Worth every penny, haters! Roll Tide!

(I jest. A little.)

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He couldn't walk away. He would be owed the money if he was fired, not if he quit.

I'm supportive of this extension. He's the best college football coach in the world. I wouldn't trade him for Bill Belichick or Tom Coughlin or Mike Tomlin or whoever you wanted to throw at me.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The assistant coach salaries are what's ludicrous.

Defensive coordinator $950,000.
    Offensive coordinator $590,000.
    Offensive line coach $395,000.
    Outside linebackers coach $375,000.
    Tight ends/special teams coach $350,000.
    Strength and conditioning coach $310,000.
    Defensive line coach $310,000.
    Running backs coach $290,000.
    Wide receivers coach $285,000.
    Secondary coach $260,000.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Even crazier since Saban himself is a defensive coach, came from the defensive side of the ball, and spends the majority of his coaching time on the defense.

You would think the big money among the assistants would go to the OC, since Saban is handling half the DC's job by himself.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My understanding is Nick Saban at this point has his hands in a little of everything and trusts Kirby Smart a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted