1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football, Nov. 18 weekend, non-OSU/Mich division

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DisembodiedOwlHead, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A little dramatic about Wake, aren't we?

They're still having an outstanding year, and Virginia Tech wasn't exactly a speed bump. This proves the Deacons are human, but "hysteria" is a bit much.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm a Pac-10 guy, but as much as people revel in their downfalls this season, an ACC with subpar Miami and Florida State teams isn't all that exciting. Even Va. Tech is sort of just blah.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Will any paper - mainly the tabloids - have the guts to use the headline:
    Rutgers plays like KRP in Cincinnati

A tamer headline - that would pass the censors - that I could see a paper using would be:
    Trapped
    Rutgers suffers letdown vs. Cincy

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Thanks for playing Tony Soprano.

5. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Can anyone remember seeing a worse quarterback than Mike Teel? I think he set the tone for this entire debacle. I just saw the Bearcats push the score to 26-3, and the Scarlet Knights probably make that tackle any other night. Anyway, Teel is just awful. Cincy could bring 10 in the box and still be able to pick him off. This is f*cking ridiculous, and I didn't even go to Rutgers! Isn't there anyone else that Schiano can bring in to at least make this respectable?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The problem is because all the so-called fans and supporters of college football are banking on the Florida schools being the catalysts, it's thought that the ACC is down because Miami and Florida State are mediocre. If they were good, then I suspect many of the same critics would call the league boring and predictable, not to mention theories abound that the ringers are ruling the roost.

What a crock. Seeing Maryland, Boston College and Wake Forest (!) battle this sucker out has brought the fun into the equation. Additionally, it sends the message to commish John Swofford that he didn't need to bring ringers to the dance. Yes, Florida State's inclusion in the early '90s put the other programs on notice, but Swofford didn't bring in Virginia Tech, Miami and Boston College because of their prowess in men's basketball (though BC usually is pretty good in the sport, the loss this week to Vermont notwithstanding).

I couldn't be happier that ACC football doesn't begin and end with the Florida schools. Rant over.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) -- Hospitals throughout the state of New Jersey reported an exceptionally high volume of emergency room visits on Saturday night.
    According to the chief of emergency services at Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center a few miles from the main campus of Rutgers University, an inordinate number of cases involved severe ankle and lower leg injuries, believed to be sustained by front-running Scarlet Knights fans jumping off the bandwagon.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Say good night, Knights.

9. Songbird

But for fans of college football, like me, watching Wake, Maryland and BC battling for the title doesn't get me all giddied up. I'd rather see the best one of those 3 teams have to beat Miami or Florida State. I've always liked the Davey v. Goliath thing. It's like MLB: more fun to see someone knock off the Yankees.

10. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

And in the 1980s trivia game, with a 34-24 win over Tulsa today, SMU is bowl eligible. They haven't been to a bowl game since 1984 in the glory days of the Pony Express, right before the bottom fell out.

They're 6-5 with one game left at 6-5 Rice. Scored 27 unanswered, second-half points for the win.

11. Songbird

Remember when Houston beat SMU 95-21 a few years ago? Good for SMU, home of my favorite all-time running back, Eric Dickerson ... well, before he bolted L.A.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hear that, whitlock? Tulsa lost. So don't go putting them in your top 25. Make them share No. 26 with Miami.

Draft saved Draft deleted