1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

college football media guides

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Louisville used to do their basketball and football media guides as hardcovers too.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the ones i've seen this year aren't -- thank fuckin' god

yeah, just what i need -- a heavier media guide

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

oh, and sent this email to texas sid today:

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I think Iowa State had a hardcover, too.

Here's a question: How many of the same media guides do you get in the office?

In the past two weeks, we've received five SEC media guides, four of them sent to writers who haven't worked here in the past four years. I like being able to have one at home and one for the office, but it seems like conferences and schools are wasting a lot of money by not updating their mailing lists every year or two.

And Hoops, nicely played.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The only hardcovers Iowa State does is for men's and women's basketball. It's like a high school yearbook.

By the way, at Big Ten media days there was a stack of Champs Sports Bowl travel kits. Inside was a pair of Champs Sports Bowl/Capital One Bowl boxer shorts.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hmmmm. Another league had those kits at media day, though I never noticed shorts. Maybe a league official loaded up!

7. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

I saw an adidas full-page Reggie Bush ad this year in the media guide of the school I cover. I guess I've seen a few local ads in guides before but never something like this.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

The ACC had those travel kits, too..... they were empty.
    Of course, we did get cigars from the Orange Bowl, so that kinda made up for it.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Cigars? I would rather have cigars than boxers.

10. gumbojumbo

gumbojumbo Guest

Boxers? Were they one size fits all? Wow.
    Is there any chance, you veterans of media guides, that the NCAA or whomever came up with the current plan will rescind it or alter it in the near future? Have there been any discussions? And don't most still have the recruit-oriented pages in there anyway?

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I've heard that the respective answers are no and yes.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

It's all about $$$. Enough schools kick off enough cash, and it will change again.

Draft saved Draft deleted