1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

college football media guides

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Jul 27, 2006.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For most of these schools the media guides are 90% the same from year to year.

Just update the records, update the bios, change a handful of pictures and you're done.

Tennessee's media guide has been running the same mug of "Jim Bletner, Director of Concessions/Souvenirs" for more than 25 years. It was a joke when I was there . . . back in 1983. So I have no idea how old the mug actually is.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

If you're expecting intelligence from the Illinois football program, you'll wait a mighty long time. This is a university that kept Lou Tepper as coach for years and years. Helluva Heckuva nice guy, but a terrible coach.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

As an FWAA member, I just got my Texas media guide in the mail..... or should I say recruiting brochure. Full-page profile on every player, and 107 pages of fluff/recruiting material that no media member could possibly care about. Oh, and a handout with it containing media information, which states, "For complete records and history, please visit the Texas Football web site at www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com or consult your 2006 Spring Prospectus.
    Thanks, NCAA. You saved our backs but not our typing fingers on deadline. ???

4. Cheaper to mail them through the post office via the book rate or the media rate. I shipped two dozen or so and it was like five bucks.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think the Texas media guide has about 8 pages dedicated to the week leading up to the Rose Bowl...and another 10 describing the game.

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I was actually surprsied by how light the box full of SEC guides was this year. I was fully expecting to be overloaded, but it wasn't as bad as years past. Plus the box included the lovely Capital One Bowl dop kit.

7. And don't forget the enormous Regions Bank sticky-pad.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't think I got a sticky pad. Now I feel cheated. Of course I do have about five Wynfrey pens now.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A few years ago, Alcorn State had half-page bios of its head coach and athletic director -- and a full page for its SID. Not that it mattered, since we didn't get it until the middle of November.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I just saw Zook in the lobby of the hotel for Big Ten media days. I thought of this, and started laughing.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

good god, i got the texas 'media guide' today

calling that a media guide is incredibly ingenuous

12. ogre

ogre Member

I thought it was great last year when USC put out a hardcover media guide. It was a fricking coffee table book (but not a coffee table itself like Kramer's). The people at SC said that since they had already budgeted to spend a certain amount before the restriction, they went ahead and splurged on the hardcover. This year, it is back to normal.

Draft saved Draft deleted