1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

college football media guides

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Jul 27, 2006.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

the term media guide is now a misnomer. most of the big-time football playing schools now use the media guide more as a recruiting tool that something to actually help the media that covers them.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

HELMETS!

Are those pages designed well?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I do miss the days when the weight of Iowa's rivaled a newborn infant...

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It was always fun lugging those guides home from the conference media days.

I love how the NCAA says the limit was a "cost-cutting" move for the schools. Then schools had to put out a supplement, with all of the important media information that was cut out for the recruiting information, and in the end no money was saved.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I still have back problems from lugging those things out to the parking garage after SEC media days. And that was for basketball!

6. Texas has a hologram cover this year. This after putting out a 50,000 spring prospectus.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Oklahoma has a hologram of Adrian Peterson high-stepping into the endzone after a 2,200 yard run on its cover.

8. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

You mean, they still print media guides?

9. As for lugging the media guides home from conference media days...I decided several years ago Fed Ex was cheaper than rotator cuff surgery.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Texas that prompted the page-reduction standard? Seems like theirs was 700+ pages a few years ago, and someone at the NCAA, in a rare moment of clarity, decided that was too much. Truthfully, if I were at a conference media event and I walked out of there with 12 CDs -- one for each school -- I'd be perfectly happy.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Until you're on deadline and have to look something up.

12. ChicoTheMan

ChicoTheMan Member

How about the most ridiculous thing you've seen included in a media guide/recruiting book?

The pages and pages of team-issued equipment in the Missouri guide has to be up there. But for me, it's the Illinois book, which last year included Ron Zook's weightlifting "stats," like he benches this much, squats this much, etc.

I'm sure seeing the coach's leg press numbers takes the sting out of that 2-9 season for their fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted