1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Deputy Editor- New York, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SP7988, Feb 20, 2014.

1. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Bleacher Report, one of the five largest online sports networks in the United States and a division of Turner Sports, seeks an experienced journalist to lead the site's college football coverage. Top candidates will be critical and creative thinkers with deep sports knowledge, a commitment to innovative media and strong organizational skills.

Required experience:

-Managing journalists.
    -College football editing or writing.
    -Work in an online content management system.

Required attributes:

-Cordial, direct, confident communication.
    -Comfort in and familiarity with the world of college football journalism and digital media.
    -Ability to develop and execute a vision for coverage in coordination with multiple company departments.
    -Impressive depth and breadth of college football knowledge, current and historical.
    -Understanding of essential online-storytelling principles.

Work requirements:

-Weekend and evening hours, seasonally.
    -Comfort communicating via phone, gchat and email.
    -Job is based in New York or San Francisco.

Compensation, Application Information:

-Full-time with full benefits.
    -Apply now. Qualified applicants will be contacted.
    -Bleacher Report is not accepting resumes or referrals from agencies.

If you are a recruiter, search firm, or employment agency, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if Bleacher Report hires the candidate.

To apply: http://www.jobscore.com/jobs/bleacherreport/deputy-editor-college-football/ctswaCMAar453qiGakhP3Q
  2. SP7988

SP7988 Member

I know the knock against B/R in general, but I've worked with the department as an on-call freelancer for this past season and it's a good gig.

Nice pay and a good group of editors to work with. The former deputy editor just retired last month.

Figured I'd post this up for them.
  3. alexshoemaker

alexshoemaker New Member

Thanks, SP7988, for posting. Know what the qualifications are for the job?
  4. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Not too sure, but I would guess they want someone with a good amount of experience as an editor of a department or team of writers.

As it was structured last year, they had a deputy editor, an assistant editor and then an assignment editor. Then they had lead writers for each power conference, three on-call writers and a number of featured columnists (unpaid) for each FBS team.

So whoever gets this job would be heading a pretty large department.

Also, I don't think there's any rush to fill the position as its pretty much the dead part of the season for some time.
  5. Schottey

Schottey Member

I can't speak to the qualifications of the job, I can say that college football is taken very seriously at B/R. After NFL and NBA, it's probably 2b in terms of focus. It's also a great group of writers to work with, and I assume a pretty direct link to our video department which is located a few blocks away in NYC as well.
  6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Bleacher Report has done a good job of focusing on news in the past year or so, hiring actual quality reporters instead of just relying on fan blog posts.
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

8. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I will knock B/R. I was a contributing columnist until I got a job at my current paper. I sent an email asking if there was a protocol for me "resigning" from there since I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do both. So months later, I find out I can do both. I have to go through the application process and wrote the same way I did to get 300,000 views in four months. Declined ... multiple times. Later find out I'm on a blacklist.

That shows me they are petty and a bit unprofessional. I know the economy sucks, but there are better companies to work for.
  9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Member

Who retired to create the opening?
  10. RonClements

RonClements Member

Unless if you were being paid for your work as a "contributing columnist", I'm not sure why you felt the need to send in a resignation letter.
  11. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I was not sure what the protocol was and contacted them about it. Apparently, my precaution still burned a bridge.
  12. Schottey

Schottey Member

Rich Thomaselli ...he didn't retire though. He's just covering travel again as he has in the past.
Draft saved Draft deleted