1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football coaching carousel 2016

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Coaching changes going a little slower this year than last.

This time last year, there were already 4 Power 5 openings (Illinois, Maryland, USC and South Carolina), plus North Texas. However, two of those (Illinois, USC) were for reasons other than wins and losses, and another (South Carolina) was a sudden resignation/retirement.

This year's count is 4 overall, 3 Power 5 (Baylor, FIU, LSU, Purdue). Three of those were canned for not winning enough, with Briles at Baylor the lone exception.

Last year, there wound up being 28 FBS openings overall, 13 from Power 5 conferences, though some of those were guys leaving one job to take another.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

What will it take for Kelly to be gone? Maybe a loss to one (or ... yikes! ... both?) service academies.

ND has their work cut out just to be bowl-eligible.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

They've got at least two more losses on the schedule. I think Miami and USC could both beat them. Tech? Meh. Maybe.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

USC, Miami, and maybe Navy. No bowl for the Irish unless they win at least four of their final five.

5. Steak Snabler

No one really knows how much Kelly makes or what his buyout would be because ND is private, but he's under contract through 2021.

Not saying they shouldn't dump him, but not certain they will, at least not this year.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Fred Akers agrees.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is a Notre Dame grad and his take is that the school president, who is as big, if not bigger, a c_nt as Kelly loves BK and that alone saves him for now.

Don't forget that this red faced ass took them to the fiesta bowl last year and the championship game in 2012.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

FIU in a Power 5 conference just isn't right. That's about as far from a power program as possible.

9. Steak Snabler

It's not. FIU is in CUSA.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'll go a different way on Purdue.

If you're Fleck, why would you go there aside from the four-year payday? What he should do. Be one step away from the top jobs. Once Oregon, Texas, USC, LSU hire, see who replaces them. I bet Petrino gets one of them. Fleck to Louisville makes sense. Maybe Leach gets another. McIntyre would be wise to leave Colorado as they won't pay top shelf. Perhaps Fleck goes to Boulder.

If you're Les Miles, that's all it would be. A "Weis at Kansas payday". Flying the Concorde for a decade and going back to Allegiant isn't sustainable.

What Purdue should find is an older guy - perhaps 50 plus - who has been a longtime coordinator. Perhaps a HC in FCS for a couple of years a decade before. Someone who won't use it as a skipping stone if they go 7-5 and who might stay. Someone who knows how to build a program and would be able to get Purdue to a .500 conference record after ten years. He'll get a statue and a nice retirement at 60.

Purdue needs a 10-year plan where the first three years will be awful. They had a good thing with Tiller but didn't maintain as UM, OSU and Sparty made more commitments to football.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted