1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football coaching carousel 2016

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lane Kiffin and Blake Barnett to the rescue in Eugene.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Looks like the epicenter of PNW college football power could be moving up I-5.

Didn't Oregon's rise as a national power coincide with down times for UW?

There's only so much local talent and California imports to go around in the Northwest!;)

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's exactly right, Coco. The pipeline stopped four hours south for about 20 years (prompted of course by the NCAA penalties and forced departure of Don James). There's probably something to the "this town ain't big enough for the two of us" idea.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I've long felt the same way if Minnesota and Illinois ever got their act together that Wisconsin could be in trouble. Turns out Wisconsin has become what Iowa used to be.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Oregon fans can correct me on this, but I believe Duck fans point to "The Pick" in the 1994 UO-UW game as the turning point. Oregon ended up going to the Rose Bowl that year while Washington started sliding. The power bounced all around the PNW for a few years in the early 2000s before Oregon took over as the dominant force. I still think Neweasal doesn't get enough blame for the destruction he did to the program.
    During my high school years, UW went to three straight Rose Bowls and the arrogance of the Husky fans was something to behold. The ones who actually went to UW weren't the problem, it was the others. Having been surrounded by Ducks the last eight years, they remind me a lot of the Husky fans from the early 1990s.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I realize he isn't on the hot seat (or at least I don't think he is) but Mike Leach said the following last night:

“One of these days, before I retire, I’m going to throw it 100% of the time in one game, and run it 100% the next game.”

I realize he's kind of an asshole, but he's also a crazy bastard in a hilarious fun way.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Illinois could get good pretty quickly if they established a real recruiting footprint in and around metro Chicago.

But they've never really been able to do it. Usually ND and a couple of B1G teams divvy up the Chicagoland haul.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Makes sense, given that Alvarez and Bielema both coached at Iowa under Hayden Fry (and Bielema also played for him). Chryst played for Alvarez and coached under Bielema.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I was on the athletic board at the college here in town, and we had this stud LB that everyone was drooling over. So, I had to go out there one day, and I turn and look down the hallway, and there's Ron Prince (when he was still coaching K-State) walking with one of his assistants.....dressed to the 9's......big fancy leather trench coat..........and then there's Leach and one of his assistants........wearing blue jeans, a Texas Tech pullover, dip-spitting into a Kwik Shop coffee cup.

Spent about 10 minutes talking with Leach. Fascinating dude.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Look at this list of potential openings at season end.
    LSU
    Texas?
    Oregon?
    Auburn?
    USC?

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You can tell Leach's brain never stops.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I remember the game because I was on the sidelines, but I had to look up the numbers.

In 1992, Baylor beat SMU in Dallas, 31-12. Baylor had 91 rushes for 482 yards. Passing: 0-for-0. Did not attempt a single pass.

Draft saved Draft deleted